Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I've posted, I started a 120Gal a couple weeks back. I put an FX6 on there and added about 2 lbs of eheim substrat pro out of an existing canister to help get things going. Got the aquarium up and running and have added a bunch of Peacocks and Haps. I have been checking water and doing normal 25% WC about every 2 or 3 days as needed. On every WC I would use a dose of Prime. I have also been using Seachem Stability as I wanted to help the bacteria in the bio media as I figured the bacteria might need a bit of a boost as I added a large amount of bio load. Here is the oddity, over the last few days, my NitrAte levels have actually dropped without doing any WC. After seeing the large drop on Tuesday, I thought maybe an anomaly, so I've been watching it without adding anything. See my chart below. Typically, my Nitrate levels have gone up about 10-15 per day ultimately peaking at around 20 or so then performing a WC. I have heard about the 'complete cycle" but it seems like a bit of a unicorn theory, and my tank is wayyyyy to young for that to even be a possibility. Is the Seachem Stability responsible for the Nitrates going down or????
Date Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate PH KH GH
3/3/2019 0 0 10 8 8 9
3/4/2019 0 0 20 8 8 9
3/5/2019 0 0 5 8 7 8
3/6/2019 0 0 5 8 7 7
3/7/2019 0 0 5 8 7 8

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Why isn't your nitrate going up again after 3/4?

Healthy bacteria produce nitrate.
Hence my post.... *** been feeding the fish, everything is normal. The only thing I can think of is the Stability I added put in some anaerobic bacteria that is eating the Nitrate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts