Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female Red Zebra has been acting odd. She's been digging in the gravel under one of the statues in the tank. My male Red Zebra follows her everywhere and chases the other fish if they get too close. I also found this...pebbly thing in the dip she's been digging, can anyone tell me what it is?

This is the pebbly thing....what is it?

The female RZ = Ponyta

The male RZ = Rapidash

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
Digging is normal for mbuna of both genders, it does not mean anything. You may wish to place your decor items and rocks on the bottom of the tank and fill the substrate around them. This way the fish cannot dig underneath and topple things on themselves.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can't be just a pebble because all of the gravel in my tank is black. This is the second one I've found in about a month and it's translucent orange with darker orange...dots I guess, inside it. My female RZ :fish: has been trying to pick it up, but doesn't do that with the gravel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't really get the best photo of it, but here it is again. Again, it's really really light orange and there are little moving dark orange/red specs inside of it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first one I found was when I bought my female RZ. It was in the bag with her when I got her home.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You sure stuff inside is moving or is it fleckled (kinda like glitter but more subdued) and just shimmery?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not from a cichlid, not that size.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You know the little round flakes that fall off and float away from styrofoam? the little balls that staticly stick to everything? about that size or smaller.

So far all that I've seen have been perfectly round.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm....alright. I have no idea what it is then. When I got the gravel these orange things were not in it. And I have only found two, and only after I got my cichlid....I am very confused.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't believe so...I suppose it could be, but I've only found two of them. The first one was in the bag when I got my first RZ so it couldn't have been my gravel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
It isn't shimmery. There are individual moving specs. Could it be an egg sac?
They lay individual eggs, anywhere from 1mm to 2mm or more depending on the species. They don't have a sac full of eggs as such. To my experience anyway.

Could the "object" be glass? I've found pebbles and shells and bits of glass in bags of gravel before. The quality control is not so rigid as to stop every oddity from being packed. Especially in bags of colored, polished substrate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts