Cichlid Fish Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had a fluval 3.0 on my planted 55g tank for over a year, and have been quite happy with it. I usually keep all the channels at or below 50% at their peak, and find that that is plenty of light without running co2. I still get some algae growth near the top of the tank closest to the light. Some folks run a split light schedule with a mid-day "siesta", as they find that it reduces algal growth and allows them to view their tank at the times they are around. I don't do this on mine, I just have long ramps in the morning and evening.

In case you're not already, I'd test nitrates regularly to dial in your easy green dosing. You don't have a lot of plants, and with fish the nitrate levels could easily creep up over time. I don't dose my tank at all, and don't have a heavy bioload, and still find that if I don't do weekly 15-20% water changes my nitrates start to rise above 20-40ppm. I do use root tabs, which I replace every 6 months or so when I start to notice nutrient deficiencies on the new leaves.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I tried that split light schedule and it did not help me. FWIW.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hi all,

I was checking out my Anubis Nana this morning and each one has at least 1 or more sprouts.
There is some dark coloring on the leaves and white fuzzy stuff at the root
Is this anything I should be concerned with?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
IDK about the white fuzzy stuff, but rub off the algae (dark coloring on the leaves) so the leaves can get light. This algae on the leaves is the #1 problem in growing anubias, IME.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So I went to youtube and after viewing some videos about live planted tanks.
I did a few things...

First:
I cleaned my Sponge filter...first time since Super Bowl when it was installed so roughly 2 months.
I followed the above video and it took about 3 squeezes in a gallon Ziploc bag before the water was clean.

Next
I removed each of my Anubia Nana one by one and using a Q-Tip and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide I wiped each leaf.
It took about 3 Q-Tip ends per leaf / which got very dirty from the algae.
I also wiped the root stem with Q-Tip / Hydrogen Peroxide.
The leaves look much cleaner and I will monitor them going forward.

Lastly
I adjusted my Fluval 3.0 light.
I had Sunrise from 7am to 9am and I changed it to 9am to 11am,
I had Daylight set from 9am to 1700 (8 hours) with light levels: Whites at 30% Blue 0% and Red at 10%
Daylight is now set from 11am to 1500 / 3pm (4 hours) and Light levels at 20% on each white, 0% Blue, 5% Red
Sunset was 1700 to 1900 it is now 1500 to 1800 ( 3pm to 6pm)
Moonlight from 1800 to 2000 (6pm to 10pm) and lowered Blue from 5% to 3% all other lights are off.
Fluval Light is off from 10pm to 9am

So I have cut back on the light and limited it's time on and at what percentage .
I had a feeling that 8 hours at 30% for the Cubes 12 inch depth was too much light.
If the shorter time and Less light controls the Algae and the Plants still grow OK then I will slowly bring the lights intensity up a little.

The Fluval is a new light for my Cube and I figured it would take a little bit of time to get it fully dialed in for the Cube.

What do you think of my changes?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Cleaning filters is always good.

Hydrogen peroxide can take off a layer of healthy cells, can you clean with just water? The plants will live but you might see a setback.

I would do daylight only and 6 hours.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I'm sorry the Algae Ogre has decided to pay a visit to your tank. :(
Be Advised: In the fight against algae, if you ask 5 hobbyist aquarists what they recommend? You may get 8 suggestions! This one is tough, and multiple, different recommendations in action, may produce similar results.
One thing that worked for me then, and continually works for me now - is to almost continually remove uneaten food and fish waste from the filtration. This is just about universally accepted, though how you achieve it may be in many different ways... I accomplish this by installing foam pre-filters on the intakes of ALL my filtration systems and clean them (usually) three times per week. It's simple - a little tank water, wring out the pre-filter sponge, return to the filter intake. Done. Takes a minute or two. Just doing that I've found, drastically reduces the buildup of all sorts of things that the algae apparently loves to feed on.
Some additional suggestions:
- More water changes, yes. It's not just the Nitrates building up in there that the algae is feeding on. Uneaten pellet food waste can also be high in phosphates.
- More plants. The tank may not be actually planted heavily enough to help the plants get the edge over the algae. Your plants need to out-compete the algae in the aquarium for sources of food in the water.
- More time. The plants themselves if they are fighting a war in there against the algae, will begin to produce allelopathogens (plant-based toxins) to fight off the algae growing on them. This takes time, esp. in slower growing species such as Anubias. But, it is effective.
- More Carbon. Seachem Excel has been referred to variously by folks as 'Satans Blood' or alternatively, 'The Wrath Of God' against algae. It really IS controversial stuff! Designed and produced to provide a source of chelated carbon to your plants. Algae really doesn't like this stuff at all. Careful though. When the algae dies, the water gets toxic extremely fast. So, use that stuff as a 'Big Gun', and very carefully with small doses at first. I've used it personally, and found that it works. I've also personally discovered in my planted tanks just how dangerous it can be when used, as well... :?
- More light. Yep. And, here we go - where the recommendations start to actively contradict each other! The point of this exercise is to actively boost the health and growth of your plants. And yes, you are also boosting the light needed by the algae. I get it! But remember, healthy plants will adapt to fight and overcome that algae themselves. Denying your plants the source of high quality light they need now, might be giving that algae you are fighting, the edge in your aquarium.
-
Good luck with it. No mater what actions you decide on, I would definitely clean your filtration materials more often. Physically remove the waste before it breaks down into algae food. And lastly, conduct more water changes to dilute from the water whatever it is that the algae is possibly feeding on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I looked at my Cube today and there are Baby Fry!

At first I thought it was floating dirt like maybe the sand got disturbed but then it was changing directions and swimming.
I had no idea that I had a Matched Pair in my tank.
Yes one was bigger than the other but I did not think Male & Female.

If I had a Picture Service I would add pictures but I do not.
Amazing!
I ground up some Tetra Cichlid flakes (Red Label) and I could watch the Fry eating.
I guess that now I need to bone up as to what I do for new Fry.
I'll be darned...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Will Crushed Flake be enough for the Fry or do I need to get either frozen Baby Brine shrimp or eggs to hatch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Here is a video of my Cube and the growing Fry.

The Fry took to crushed flake food and love it.
I feed them through the back opening of the Cube twice a day..about 10am and 6pm.
In the front opening I drop in some pellet food.

The Fry have been growing a lot.
They look healthy with no dwindling in their numbers that I can see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
A Plant Update in my Cube:

I have been very happy with the Anubis Nanas that I attached to rocks.
Each plant has at least 2 healthy new sprouts

As far as the Cryptocoryn wendtii v Tropica "Bronze Wendtii"
I'm not as happy with their growth and see floating parts of their plants from time to time.
I will say that I have not been religious about putting Root Tabs into the Substrate.

I am thinking that I may get a couple of Anubia plants that grow like shoots growing upward to compliment the Nanao's
The Anubis's are healthy growers in my Cube.

Back when I was getting a lot of Algae I stopped squirting the Aquarium Co-Op's Liquid Fertilizer into the Cube.
This is to say nothing bad about Aquarium Co-Op's Fertilizer but since the Liquid fertilizer was primarily for the Anubis's and they were already growing very good so I saw no reason to add the Fertilizer.

So..Anubia's in my BioCube...Good.
My BioCube as a Breeder Tank..Good

With all of the new Fry in my 29 I will probably start a more serious search for the Corner Tank that I have wanted...75 gallons.
Get it acclimated and transfer Mom-Dad & Fry to it.
Do something else with my Cube..
I will say that so far my Cube has turned out to be a Great Success!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
A 75G corner tank will not have as many options as a 75G rectangle that measures 48" long. Remember, length of the tank is key to providing stocking options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
A 75G corner tank will not have as many options as a 75G rectangle that measures 48" long. Remember, length of the tank is key to providing stocking options.
Yea I know....Though I'm really not worried about Stocking..It's more about Quality of the Tank's setup over Quantity of fish.
It's just that after I take the upper wall down for a 1/2 wall between my Kitchen and Living room
I plane on putting a Corner Tank on the 1/2 Wall (with bottom of Tank at the same level as the 1/2 wall)
it will sit in the Living room side and can be seen from the living room and Kitchen.
It will fit perfectly and look great!
At night the Light of the tank will shine equally into the living room and Kitchen and will be the only light on.

I would like a minimum of 75 gallons but may end up with more.

Being a Corner Tank I realize that it will also be more of a pain to maintain.
I would like a Tall Corner Tank taking up most of the opening of the kitchen to living room.
Needing a step ladder or something to stand on.
It will also be difficult to reach the bottom of the tank

BUT
I know when it is setup correctly it will be a show stopper..very classy setup.
I will then Stock it per what is correct for the tank.

I've been thinking about this for a long time.
I've had Rectangular tanks from 55 to 75 to 125 & 150 gallons.
It's time for a Corner Tank!

I'll keep you all posted with the build.
I'm looking for "used" (can't afford the Corner tank I want NEW) so I may find it tomorrow or months from now.
I've got time.
It's a future build.
The wall is still up to LOL!.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Sounds like a good set up for angels.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
While the Angelfish Cichlid, Pterophyllum scalare, might be considered a Cliche' by some..... :roll:
That fish species is definitely considered to be a New World Cichlid by just about everyone else.
-
Oh, and if cliché's aren't your thing... I believe a trio of Red Shouldered Severum Cichlids, Heros sp. efasciatus 'Rotkeil' could look pretty nice stocked in a taller shaped, corner tank instead. 8)
-

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Well, there we go....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Thanks for the responses Auballagh and suggestions.

I checked out the Red Shouldered Severum Cichlids
From the attached video they do like large tanks, will eat Live Plants and get up to 10" so they can become large fish.
I do like Anubias but I also do like the look of the fish..
I will check them out at my LFS and I may add a couple to the tank.
I like the Gold as well.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts