Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I just put a rock overtop one of their "roots" to hold Anubias, or Java Ferns in place. Another plant that should do well is Cryptocorne wendtii red.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Code:
 Another plant that should do well is Cryptocorne wendtii red.
Thanks Fogelhund I'll check them out.

My LED Light started messing up so I am returning it today and Amazon will have a new one to me on Friday.
March 3rd was last day for return....just made it...
The light has worked perfectly until the last few days.
DAY Light scheduled to shut off at 6:30 pm and MOON Light scheduled to start at 6:30 pm but the DAY light would shut off at 5:30 instead of 6:30
Also the Brightness level would not change from 100% to 10%...just stayed on at 100% brightness no matter what the setting was at.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Das Wasserhund said:
Another plant that should do well is Cryptocorne wendtii red.
:lol:
-

-

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Good Heavens! :eek:
We may have inadvertently discovered that the solution to possibly ending World Hunger is cultivation of Cryptocorne wendtii 'Red' in sand! Who could have suspected the possibilities of this easy-to-grow, overlooked aqautic plant?
-
-
Now if I could have just gotten it to grow successfully in my own hard water/high PH Tanganyikan-themed tank? (When literally everything else planted in there with it did just fine). :x

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now if I could have just gotten it to grow successfully in my own hard water/high PH Tanganyikan-themed tank?
You had a Problem with this plant in a lake Tanganyikan-themed tank?

That's what I have.
Should I try and Grow this plant in my Cube?

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
The problem I had with the Cryptocorne wendtii 'Red' happened a few years back in my own 33 gallon Tanganyikan themed aquarium. At the time, I also had a heavily planted tank (75 gallon) with a thriving colony of Red Crypts in it. Unfortunately, that one plant species did not transfer over well in my attempt to move some of them over to my new Tanganyikan tank. After the transfer, most of my Red Crypts died within a month, and the remaining few just kind of languished in there until I weeded them out.
But, that was my own experience with these things!
And, it may not be indicative enough to apply everywhere to that plant species. I mean up to that point, Red Crypts had been extremely easy for me to grow! And, that is the experience just about everyone else has with them as well.
So, I would go with 'Fogelhund' on his recommendation to attempt them in your Tanganiykan-themed aquarium. I mean really, he's apparently got a colony of Red Crypts growing just fine in one of his tanks NOW! :oops:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts

Filmed this, stuck on youtube for guys. Upload quality isn't very good though, but enough to see the plants.

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Well now.... annnnd thar' it izzz!

Good looking tank. And, those Cryptocorne wendtii 'Reds' look pretty nice. too. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The Anubias Nana are in temporarily
I believe that I can cut both into at least 4 plants

I do realize that with the Crypto Bronze and probably the Nana I will end up trimming some leaves.
All plants were submerged in a tank at LFS with fish

I have some Easy Green Fertilizer coming from Aquarium Co-Op
I am going to pick up some API Root Tabs for the Crypto Bronze.
Beside the largest Crypto Bronze in the Front Left Corner there are smaller Crypto's down the Right Side and back by the Sponge Filter as well as between the ocean Rovk and the front rock caves
All total I got 6 separate plants from the Crypto bud ranging in size from medium large to very small.

The fish haven't paid any attention to the plants.
Yes I still have the 3 original fish...I'm not going to return them but I will order 4 or 5 Brichardi to go into the Cube with them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Buds BioCube said:
...Does anyone have any links to pure Brichardi?..
Sure, but we're not allowed to post them on this forum. Send me a PM and I'll give you a link to a reputable online source that currently has several of the brichardi species complex in stock, including Neolamprologus brichardi, N. gracilis, N. pulcher, and N. splendens. Particularly in this species complex, there is no reason to be working with fishes of questionable origin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi all,
I have a Plant update.
I knew that I could get at least 2 more plants from my Anubias Nana Plants.
By Propagating the Rhizome of each plant I had 4 plants.
I used the Original Super Glue Gel to attach each Rhizome to a rock.

Now I have 2 Anubia Nana's in the front and one on each side.
Have a look...

Front:

Left Side:

Right Side:

·
Premium Member
4,671 Posts
Nice!
I like the plants.
Opinion: My Anubias placed on rocks were always sited on either Lava or Mountain Lace Rock. The roots got down into the nooks and crannies of the rock and helped to anchor the plant down. Plus, they looked more natural with the roots growing down and into those more porous type rocks.
-
But, I do like the look of this aquarium a lot! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
But, I do like the look of this aquarium a lot!..
Thanks Auballagh

I trimmed the roots of the Anubias very short 1/8th to 1/4" hoping to promote their new growth.
I am hoping that the roots will attach to the rocks OK..it will be fun to watch how they do.

I am liking the Cube much better with the plants..I think that the plants really make the Cube.
I'll see how the Crypto Tropica Bronze grow in..I'd like to have another one (about the same size) in the right front and balance out the Cube.
Maybe I'll look for a Crypto this weekend to do that.

I want to add a couple of Albino Brichardi (I like their look and their contrasting with the others) and look at some other options for fish.
Ultimately ending up with 6 to 7 fish.

But the Cube has come a long way from being abandoned in a rear shed for 10 years.
White crusty build up on the rear plastic filter area..Silicone peeling at the edges, no stand, lights dead..
It was a complete restoration!
But I took my time and it has been a fun project.
I think of it like some car shows that find an abandoned car that they turn into a classic!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts