Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Buds BioCube said:
After adding plants along with Root Tab's and Liquid Fertilizer I am seeing some Algae on the Glass and the Ocean rock.
Bud, what sort of fertilizer are you adding, in what amounts, and how often? I do agree with Keith and think that it's unlikely that this contributed to your fish death. I keep some planted tanks and use liquid fertilizers and root tabs, I also have a fluval 3.0.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had a fluval 3.0 on my planted 55g tank for over a year, and have been quite happy with it. I usually keep all the channels at or below 50% at their peak, and find that that is plenty of light without running co2. I still get some algae growth near the top of the tank closest to the light. Some folks run a split light schedule with a mid-day "siesta", as they find that it reduces algal growth and allows them to view their tank at the times they are around. I don't do this on mine, I just have long ramps in the morning and evening.

In case you're not already, I'd test nitrates regularly to dial in your easy green dosing. You don't have a lot of plants, and with fish the nitrate levels could easily creep up over time. I don't dose my tank at all, and don't have a heavy bioload, and still find that if I don't do weekly 15-20% water changes my nitrates start to rise above 20-40ppm. I do use root tabs, which I replace every 6 months or so when I start to notice nutrient deficiencies on the new leaves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts