Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cichlids tank has been running for 5-6 weeks (filter has been running for 18 months). It has a group of 4 yellow labs, a group of 4 demasoni and a group of 4 white tail acei. The hierarchy is slowly being established and there is a little chasing but nothing to worry about so far.

The yellow labs were the first group introduced, then the demasoni a week later, then the acei a week after. When first introduced, every group would glass surf for a few days (except the acei) and then stopped. Except this one yellow lab. All it does all day is swim in circles, coming back to the left side glass, or swim up and down and left to right on this same glass. He will also stand in front of the glass, looking away from the community.

I have made a video. I couldn't catch the running in circle and glass surfing behavior because he flew as soon as I approached the tank. And when he came back he just stood still. He has been looking at the glass since (for at least five minutes).

So, here are my questions :

- does mental illness exist in fish ?

- should I put him in a 10 gallon (biggest I have) by himself for a few weeks, until he settles, then try to reintroduce him again? Or is it too risky that he gets attacked/killed ?

- what should I do to help him ?

Thank you !

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
I don't think there is anything to worry about, he might just be looking at himself in the glass or enjoying being off by himself.

If you notice that he is staying higher up in the tank and trying to hide in the decorations or behind the filter intake, he may be being harassed by his tank mates.

Any chance you can add more rock structure so it's higher up in the tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deeda said:
I don't think there is anything to worry about, he might just be looking at himself in the glass or enjoying being off by himself.

If you notice that he is staying higher up in the tank and trying to hide in the decorations or behind the filter intake, he may be being harassed by his tank mates.

Any chance you can add more rock structure so it's higher up in the tank?
Yes, I can definitely do that. I'm also upgrading to a 75 gallons in a month or two. Thank you !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonight I noticed one yellow lab (probably the OCD one I was talking about in this thread) had stress bars and a very small caudal fin. Which means he was beaten up, on top of being chased. I was not expecting this and it made me sad.

I set-up a 5 gallons, added aquarium salt, melafix and microbe-lift for added BB and put the yellow lab in it. I am hoping he will make a full recovery.

I'm not sure what to do with him next, and not sure what to do with the other yellow labs, as I saw tonight at least another one is being chased. Do I only keep the bully ? Do I keep the other ones ? Do I rehome them all ?

This is my fist cichlids tank and I don't like this bullying at all. I should be getting my new 75 gallons soon and will be adding more rocks but will this change the behavior of the dominant yellow lab ?

I'm really puzzled and don't know what to do.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,487 Posts
If you know who the bully is I would put him in the 10G alone and leave him there until you get the 75G. A larger tank will change the behavior of the fish, allowing each male sufficient room to establish a territory and stop fighting over turf.

Personally I would remove (rehome) the demasoni as there is no way you have room to get enough of them to manage aggression. But that may be the next issue and not one you are facing now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
If you know who the bully is I would put him in the 10G alone and leave him there until you get the 75G. A larger tank will change the behavior of the fish, allowing each male sufficient room to establish a territory and stop fighting over turf.

Personally I would remove (rehome) the demasoni as there is no way you have room to get enough of them to manage aggression. But that may be the next issue and not one you are facing now.
That's a good plan. I do have a 10 gallons I could use for the dominant male. As for the demasoni, honestly they're being sweet hearts at the moment. If they become unmanageable, they'll be all rehomed for sure.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,487 Posts
Since the rest of your fish will still be in a too small tank there is a good chance that another bully will take over. Then you will need the 75G unless you keep buying 10G tanks. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
Since the rest of your fish will still be in a too small tank there is a good chance that another bully will take over. Then you will need the 75G unless you keep buying 10G tanks. :)
Ha Ha Ha ! No, I won't...

If worse comes to worse, I will only keep the Acei. They're my favorite; beautiful and peaceful.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top