Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 purple occy's which are still juveniles. Trying to pair them up, but kinda struggling. I believe I have 3 males and 1 female. I'm assuming the small one is a female, and the other 3 are males. The 3 males were fighting over space and shells, and eventually 2 of the 3 had shells. Yesterday I took 2 of the males out and left the largest male with the female. He still chases her off if she gets close to his territory. He has 2 shells and I left several for her across the aquarium with several rocks obstructing their views. There is also a Goby in the aquarium, which is a 36G BF. 30" long and maybe 20 wide at its longest point. They seem to ignore the Goby, unless he's in their territory. Any idea's on how to pair them up? Looks like I have 3 males so I can try another one if this big one refuses to accept her. I'm just getting nervous because her and the other male were stuck at the top of the tank and I didn't want them to die. How long until a male will try and get her? He buried 1 shell and the second looks like it's about done with excavation. He guards his territory well. Awesome fish, but I really want to get pair if I can so I can add another species. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
Normally you would remove any fish stuck at the top of the tank.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx DJ. I removed the subordinate male and the other established male with a territory and left the female with the big male who established a territory. Good call? Just those 2 with a goby now. She seems to have less interest in territory but does have a shell now. Just don't want to lose the only chance I have at pairing them up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts