Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

In my 20G long I have 5 occie's, 2 yellow comp (comps are extremely shy but spawned once)
So out of 5 occie 2 are pair, and they are having fry just as often as my guppys.
The problem is that I can't keep the fry, it get's eaten by tank mates.
Other occie's 100%. Female protects shell very well, she is terrorizing entire tank, but only 4-5 days. After that when fry leaves the home (the shell) not far, about 2-3", they don't come back ...
Basically she can't keep up with all of them

Now let's say I take some fry out of the tank, where do I put them? How do you guys setup fry tank? Or maybe I need some kind of floating container so I can place rescued fry in.
I have fish breeding trap by Hagen that has the smallest holes, fish still escapes and get's eaten :(

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This is a good question. As of tonight I have 2 shells full of swimming fry with a single parent trying to guard both and 2 other shells full of eggs. I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can setup a small tank for them to grow out in.

I'd put them in a 5 gallon first then move them to a 10 gallon when they're recognising food times.

As for setting up the tanks, a simple sponge filter and heater should do the trick. Bare bottom tanks are easier to clean but you may want to provide a few shells for the fry to feel safer.

I'd suggest feeding them with brine shrimp or daphnia and some other commercial foods.

·
Registered
790 Posts
No wonder no fry live in your 20L 2 pair occie one extra occie and a pair of altos. A bit over stocked for me :fish: But I like keeping pairs of occies in 20L by them selves :wink: What works for some won't for others.

Set up on a fry tank is simple like Jack Stone said.

Only thing is if you do this I would either take some of the gravel out of your main tank for the fry tank or an existing sponge filter if there is one. You can't just tank the water and put it into a new tank thinking it will be established.

I believe your at the crossroad where a african cichlid becomes a breeder or stays a keeper :D It happens to all of us at some point. You see fry in your tank and you want to raise them up. Now instead of one tank you will have two then three then ?????????

As far as feeding you can crush up the food your feeding the parents or baby brine/daphnia like already said.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd set up another 20 for the breeding pair. I really enjoyed watching the interaction of the juveniles with the adults, particularly the male. My male tolerated the young ones for a surprisingly long time. They were at least an inch or so when I sold them off.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Who gets fry/egg guard duty? Male or female? From what I've seen I believe it is the males. Is that correct?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you All for all comments.
After seeing fry get’s eaten on 5th time, I am trying to raise them at time :)
Yes, and it’s going to turn to multiple tank syndrome lol

I will pickup a 10g this weekend; I hope it’s not going to be too late…

Do you know if I can just lift the shell with mother and fry?
And then later I will transfer male.
Also do they (occie parents) pickup fry by mouth and release them inside the shell? Or they are simply eating them …

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dotbomb said:
Who gets fry/egg guard duty? Male or female? From what I've seen I believe it is the males. Is that correct?
In my case I have female on the guard. Male is 2 shells over, and he covers / protects a territory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Furcifer158 said:
No wonder no fry live in your 20L 2 pair occie one extra occie and a pair of altos. A bit over stocked for me :fish: But I like keeping pairs of occies in 20L by them selves :wink: What works for some won't for others.

Set up on a fry tank is simple like Jack Stone said.

Only thing is if you do this I would either take some of the gravel out of your main tank for the fry tank or an existing sponge filter if there is one. You can't just tank the water and put it into a new tank thinking it will be established.

I believe your at the crossroad where a african cichlid becomes a breeder or stays a keeper :D It happens to all of us at some point. You see fry in your tank and you want to raise them up. Now instead of one tank you will have two then three then ?????????

As far as feeding you can crush up the food your feeding the parents or baby brine/daphnia like already said.
have them in 20 gallon long not liter ;) it's almost 4 times more.
But yes, bigger tank will be better ...
And tanks for the tank setup advice, tonight I am going to start sponge filter going in the main tank, and hopefully in 2-3 days will be enough bacteria on it to handle my new 10g.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd imagine furcifer knew you were talking 20 gallons long. 3 pairs of potentially breeding fish + a 7th wheel is quite a bit in a 20g long. It's just suicide in a 20 liter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts