Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had 2 male occies for a while, seperated to the ends of the tank. I thought they needed some female companionship and picked out the smallest my LFS had. They are from the same stock as my males (been there a while). So I am 99% sure they are female (half the size)

My question is: Are they all loners? The females are chased off by the males and have set up shop behind all of my rocks. I have had the females for about a week and seen them twice. Will they ever come out to play with the males?

On another note. Is it a bad idea to add caudopunks with the occies? I have the room, and a really good deal on the punks..

·
Registered
328 Posts
No, they're not all loners. I have a rock pile in my 55 with shells on both sides. I have a breeding pair that spend a lot of time hanging around shells right next to each other. They hardly ever squabble and the male occasionally goes to the other set of shells only to return later to spend some time with his significant other :D.

I think once an occie establishes itself, it doesn't want any newcomers, regardless of sex. It may take awhile for the males to accept the females. Maybe you could add more shells away from the males just so the females have a place to call home.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It can take a while for the male to accept females, and I've had males reject females after spawning a time or two. You have to provide hideouts for them. That's the reason I eventually got rid of my occie's. Lazy males that had no more interest in females.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Tim - are you sure you don't have L. ocellatus "Elton John".

oops - humor not currently socially correct! Forget I said it. I guess if I said Lord Elton John it wouldn't make it any better, would it. Bad humor. :oops:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O I C... :eek: Thanx

Seems like they have placed "No Girls Allowed" signs on there shells...

Is it me or do they remind you of Gollum? "My precious.."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.