729 Posts
Awwww.. Look at those little baby faces :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
h0nkzz said:
thats one fat occie momma ! :eek:
Well, I might have caught her from an angle that's less than flattering, but I was wondering myself if she might not be about ready to spawn again and be full of eggs! She certainly looks well rounded enough, and those fry are quite old already.

Frank

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
so did you just start to see them??? and did you like feed bbs every day or what did you do??? you know i have some lamp. smillise and i not sure if i have any fry but if they dont get any food tehy dont devolp so..can you help me out

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be guessing these guys are at least 6 weeks old. They are huge for occie fry - when they first come out of the shell they are as small as a grain of sand - but not the coarse pool filter sand I have in there, but more like play sand :p

I knew they were in that tank, but the whole thing was so overgrown with hair algae that I saw them very rarely up until I cleaned the tank in the weekend. BBS would be great for them, but to be frank I am too lazy to set up a hatchery right now, and the few fry I have wouldn't consume all that many anyhow. So far they have been living off whatever they found in the algae forest, and the small particles in the food I give the parents - Xtreme Cichlid Crumble. I am sure I could get more fry if I went through a bit more trouble with feeding, but so far so good. I had a spawn last year from which I brought up about 30, and I didn't put any more work in those than in the current batch :popcorn:

Frank

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
trust me, they take forever to grow...
*** had my fry for i think 4months for the second batch, theyre now 3/4 of an inch. some are an inch. larger fry(about a month apart) are 1 1/4. somewhere there.

just feed them what you feed the adults. *** tried to feed them BBS as much as i can, i got too tired of always taking out the BBS from the bottle and all that. i just feed crushed pellets and flakes.

cute fry btw :)

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have previously brought up B. Rams fry with BBS, and that worked very well. I think initially the occies are too small for even freshly hatched BBS. Better to put a clump of Java moss in the tank, and let them eat whatever they find in there. Also less chance of fouling the water through over feeding that way.

A fellow OCA member is selling decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, which are what you usually hatch BBS from, but with the protective outer layer removed so the fish can just eat them. The big advantage is that you can feed them like flakes or pellets right out of the can without the need for hatching, plus they are supposed to have the full nutritional value of the egg, some of which gets usually used up by the hatched shrimp. I hear nothing but good things about them from people who have used them, but haven't tried it yet myself. Still got a ton of brine shrimp eggs in the fridge, and want to use them up first - which of course won't happen if I have them just sit there :roll:

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.