Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my work schedule I was only able to feed my colony of 25 Muragos twice per day. In anticipation of going away on a business trip for a week tomorrow I purchased an Eheim feeder a few weeks ago and started testing it to make sure there were no glitches in its operation. Using the feeder, I've gradually reduced the portions I was feeding and increased the number of feedings to four times per day. The total daily quantity of food has probably been reduced slightly. It's amazing how much more active (and fun to watch) the fish have become (they weren't exactly inactive before either). Previously they seemed to hang out in their territories, but now they swim together through the entire 100 gallon (72") tank.

I'm going to use the feeder regularly from now on. It's one more thing to monitor but that seems like a small price to pay.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quite the opposite, unfortunately.
When one of these malfunctions you might encountered some serious problems.

Going away for a week?
Let them be, they do not need to eat.
I usually throw a few plants in there or they will graze off of the algae growth.
Peace of mind is better than worrying about a feeder malfunctioning and dumping loads of food into the tank.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've used an Eheim feeder on my Tropheus tank for every absence of a week or more for the past 4 years. I made sure nitrates were down to around 5 ppm before leaving. I tested and set the feeder to provide one light feeding a day (probably ends up being about 1/4 of what they normally eat in a day). It has gone without a hitch every time, including a few absences of 20 days or more.

For one week I would have to agree it isn't necessary though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.