Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all OB Red Zebra's females?!?!? if not how can you sex them?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
In nature they are rare. In the hobby they bred them so there are many OB males. the males get a blue tint and get lighter overall, have larger eggspots, pointed fins.

Remember. not all OB Zebras are Red OB Zebras. There are many different species.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you, I am going to go pick one up today I will post a couple pictures (1) to determine if it is an OB RED Zebra and (2) if its male or female... thanks guys greatly appreciated

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no big deal shane... ill second that question too seeing how i have some yellow labs too...*** kept them together before...never had too much of a problem the red zebras a bit aggressive towards them but never had a major problems...lets see what the experts have to say

·
Registered
493 Posts
Generally, you can have them with Yellow labs, provided they are in adequate numbers, plenty rockwork, and you dont intend to distrubute any fry they might have.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Adams, are you buying an adult OB zebra or buying a juvenile?

Usually, you cannot tell whether its male or female when they are young. when they are adults, usually the males are a pale orange with a slight blue hue around the edges of their fins, while the females are a deeper orange.

The only sure way to find out though is to vent them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Timkat4867 said:
Adams, are you buying an adult OB zebra or buying a juvenile?
The only sure way to find out though is to vent them.
I purchased an OB Zebra just last week. I was looking to find a male.
The owner of the shop did in fact let me vent on the spot. I looked at three of them that were around 1.5". My close vision is not so good but on the first two I could see the vent.
The third I could not and felt there was a good chance of it being male. Once I got home I photographed it with a macro lens for a better view. Image below.
That said, I don't know if there is a point when they are too small to get an accurate venting even with closeup photography. However I do feel the OB Zebra below is a male.

Below is a Socolofi right at 2" that is an obvious female. This one was traded for a male.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts