Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common to have differant shades to an OB Zebra. Is it a difference in gender or is it just common to have differant hues. I have two OB Zebras and one is VERY orange, almost neon with very dark black spots and my other one is very pale (almost light peach) with paler black blotches and a blue tinge on it's fins. Both very pretty fish but i was wondering if the colour made a difference in type or sex

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The brighter one sounds like a dominant male and the lighter a female or subominate male. Pictures would help. It may also just depend on the species - as my Labeotropheus fuelleborni Katale OB males are lighter pink with blotches and the females are orange with blotches. Hard to say which way yours are going. :lol:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
OB Zebras are not a species, or singular location/strain. OB is a colour morph that is not uncommon for MANY of the Metriaclima "Zebra" group. Many are different species, or different distinct locale strains of the same species.

"IF" you are comparing two OB Zebras of the same species/strain, it wouldn't be uncommon to have colour differences between males and females.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
TailorO said:
but is colour an indication of sex? do you think the lighter one is a female?
Colour could be an indication of gender in some strains, but not in others. If you don't know exactly which species you have, or if they are the same, it doesn't mean anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts