Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank currently houses 10 electric yellows and 13 ps. demasoni.

my wife REALLY likes the ob peacocks. am i crazy to think a group of 6 ob's would work?

*** had peacocks and *** had mbuna in the past. never kept them together of course. but *** never had ob peacocks before. so im not familiar with them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
if she likes em that much just get urself one nice male. they arent too hard to spot. any of them but with a little blue should be good. the more blue the more likely its a male. just get the one is wat id do. might be too aggressive with the demasoni to actually breed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why just one? we would prefer to keep groups.

their aggressive nature is why i never had them before. i had a tank full of peacocks and haps and i had a tank full of mbuna. i just had no interest in them before.

*** seen people keep them with labs so i dont see a problem there. my worry is if the demasoni can hold their own with them.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Doubt the OB hybrids would cause much problems, of course you could always get a dominant male that might be too active... every fish is different, especially with these hybrids. They would largely ignore the other fish.

I would only get one OB hybrid male also, for variety. They really are not all that interesting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so a group of six it is!

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I'm interested to see how they do. I have had Cynotilapia kill peacocks in the past...I'd expect Demasoni to be even worse.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have two ob peacocks that are young adults in my tank of mostly mbuna and they normally only pick on each other, and they hold their own when my 6inch bumble bee decides the whole tank is his. So I think they will hold their own. They seem to b pretty agressive themselves.

·
Registered
391 Posts
noki said:
They really are not all that interesting.
I thought that but Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
I grabbed this guy from a friends grow out tank and there were other beauties with him.

I also agree that Dems and yellows would be too busy with themselves to really bother peacocks.
Perhaps a bit of 'Chasey' when spawning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
I'm interested to see how they do. I have had Cynotilapia kill peacocks in the past...I'd expect Demasoni to be even worse.
normal peacocks yes, but i never kept ob because they were too aggressive for regular peacocks.

im going to get a few tonight so i ll see how it goes.

wakeupplan said:
I have two ob peacocks that are young adults in my tank of mostly mbuna and they normally only pick on each other, and they hold their own when my 6inch bumble bee decides the whole tank is his. So I think they will hold their own. They seem to b pretty agressive themselves.
pretty much what i was thinking.

firenzena said:
noki said:
They really are not all that interesting.
I thought that but Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.
I grabbed this guy from a friends grow out tank and there were other beauties with him.

I also agree that Dems and yellows would be too busy with themselves to really bother peacocks.
Perhaps a bit of 'Chasey' when spawning.
precisely!!! thats a great looking fish you got there!

thanks everyone for you help.

now hopefully this guy has cyno. hara as well. but i dont think he does since he said the juvies were brown.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
what size is your tank?

There are some OB/BB mbuna out there that might be less risky/better suited to be keeping with other mbuna.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts