Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i'm trying set up an apisto tank using oak leaves as part of their habitat, the only problem is i'm not real familiar with the different species of oak since it doesn't grow here. i've got a sister living on the east coast and she can get me "live oak" leaves, has anyone ever used this before? i'm using rain water which has a decent ph but need to increase acidity. i know that there are all kinds of oak but are they all safe to use in this situation? other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. i've got several species of apistos and they seem to be willing to breed and lay but are unable to raise the brood to maturity....help!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Live oak would be perfect. The leaves are tough and almost leathery in texture. They are slow to break down. I have some in my tank now.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
live oak leaves are small and so while they would alter your water chemistry, you wouldn't get the leaf litter behavior out of your apistos that you would with full sized leaves.

Make sure your sister knows to collect the brown leaves that fell all winter and not to pluck live leaves off the tree! :thumb:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oak leaves usually stay on the tree 'til spring (at least around here in the north east) which is perfect for collecting them as they have not been lying on the ground. They are nice and dry too. Just picked some yesterday. Of course we still have snow on the ground, so spring really isn't here yet :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i hope it works, she said she has a whole trash bag full of dried leaves. i ask her to send me as much as possible, do i need to soak or wash them first?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Tell your sister to come by my house. I have plenty of leaves she can pick up. I will even supply the bags :)

...Bill

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks montess, she probably could go over, she's in s carolina, but i think she has enough for now. what's your setup like for your hongslois?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts