Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will my lithobates get color if there are no females around? Its already about 3 inches, and only blue on the lips.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Depends on what other males are in the tank. With an all-male tank you can never tell in advance, you just have to try it.

If you want to see if he is mature enough, try him in a quarantine tank for a month and see if he colors up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have one in my all male tank, and he has colored up real nice. As DJ said, it is really a dynamic of each individual tank and it's inhabitants. I'd say give it a shot and just be prepared to re-home him if necessary.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i have one that when i got him from the store he was shiny blue like an electric ahli. now he's almost all black save for the orange top. he's in an all male peacock/hap tank.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
IME males don't color up as nicely in all male tanks. That's not to say they can't, but I usually get the best results when I purchase fish with good color already.

·
Registered
152 Posts
DJRansome said:
Depends on what other males are in the tank. With an all-male tank you can never tell in advance, you just have to try it.

If you want to see if he is mature enough, try him in a quarantine tank for a month and see if he colors up.
Will a fish color up if he's alone in a tank? I didn't know that.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Mine do. Well it depends on the fish. Victorians, certain ones, are not supposed to color up at all unless females are present.

But if I have a male that is bland with certain tankmates and I put him in quarantine, if mature enough, he will color up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.