Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i managed to grab her, and put her into a seperate 10 gallon. i only have 1 yellow lab, and out of all the other fish that i could see paring up with, would be the Albino Melanochromis Auratus i have in there.

today i noticed alot more sand moving from the Albino Melanochromis Auratus and i was wondering, if maybe i should move it into the tank with the yellow lab? did i just mess up the breeding cycle?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Why would you want them to breed when it produces hybrids? I would either return the female to the tank to let her spit there, and then have the other fish eat the fry, or strip her now so that the eggs don't have a chance to mature.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im not looking to sell the fish, and im more or so curious to see what becomes of it if they did spawn.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The male has no role in raising the fry and will likely kill a female if she is the only other fish in a small tank.

Once the fry are spit (20 is an average number), have a plan for tanks. They will occupy a 55G just themselves once they are juveniles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, i have plans of setting up another tank soon. shes held before but *** never seen her spit em out (or theyve been eaten). but this time, i managed to get her seperate, and i can see her juggling the eggs, so lets hope there fertile!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts