Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to african cichlids, not new to cichlids or fish in general.

I have a situation Im not 100% sure how to handle. In the process of stocking my tank, one of the yellow labs I got was pretty sickly looking. I didnt realize this when I got him at the store but when I brought him home I did notice that his fins were shredded up a bit and he just wasnt very active.

Well here is my problem. He vanished about 3 days ago. I thought for sure he was just a goner. Well last night, as I was just watching my tank I caught a glimpse of him. He is looking really bad. He could barely stay vertical. Well I spent a good hour or more trying to get him out...he seemed like he had no energy left, I go to get him, and he darts off...well the problem is this.

He is obviously a sick fish. I would really rather remove him. I have 200lbs of rock in my tank stacked. Its going to be very very difficult for me to get him. My question is, is my only solution to remove rock until I find him...If thats the case its going to be a nightmare.

Im just concerned because all my other fish are doing great, I think he was just doomed from the start. I want to remove him so A: my other fish dont get anything if he has something B: it doesnt spike my water levels C: its just gross and weird to leave a dead fish or soon to be in there.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
You should get him out (we often have to remove all the rocks for situations such as this) or treat the whole tank or both.

Is he eating? Any swelling? Thready white/clear poop on him or any fish in the tank?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, it doesnt look like any of that. All other fish seem great. No he isnt eating. I am going to tackle removing him in a bit here. If he's alive Im gonna toss him in my sick tank and see whats up.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
If it is bloat (not eating, hiding, looking beat up are early symptoms) then the other fish will look fine. Bloat has a rep for taking a fish or two every other month until your tank is wiped out.

So good idea to remove and observe for poop. Normal thick, brown poop rules out bloat. Maybe he is just being harassed.

No pooping at all or mucous instead of feces is another bloat symptom.

Note that swelling is often absent with this ailment...fish can be normal, bloated or even emaciated and still die of this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, im trying. I took all the rock out and I found him. He seems WAY better today. But I cant catch him...he is way too fast. This is getting ridiculous!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will say he is acting a TON better. He does appear to be beat up but he was like that when I got him...I havent seen any white poop. Should I treat for bloat anyway? Just to be safe? Does it harm them?

Would it be harmful to treat clout or metro anyway just to be safe?

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
Use a divider and do a water change. With 3/4 of the water out you can corner him with the divider and it should be easy.

They can be fast even when sick.

You can treat the whole tank with Metronidazole, it won't hurt if you think one of any of them has bloat. Did you see him poop and it was thick and brown?

Clout is harsher and stains your silicone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, my wife and I went over to my parents with the kid and had dinner and such. Anyway, I came home and my yellow lab that was sick was out swimming around...he even ate some! Im really excited about this!

I wen to the local LFS here and looked for Metronidazole but they didnt seem to have any. Just clout. So I ordered some Metronidazole off line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts