Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just some more info, sometimes he will turn a splotchy tan/ dark brown color pattern, I haven't noticed these at specific times, just randomly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Possibly one of the Heros spp (Severum) but I think it's a Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis). Whichever it is it's very stressed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's a juvenile Chocolate cichlid for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ichthys said:
Possibly one of the Heros spp (Severum) but I think it's a Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis). Whichever it is it's very stressed.
what makes you think he's stressed? and what could be causing that? he has been in my tank a while, over a year now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
RocioOcto said:
Ichthys said:
what makes you think he's stressed? and what could be causing that? he has been in my tank a while, over a year now.
It's extremely dark. That and the 'head-up' stance (which may be just because you're photographing it). Hard to say why without details... water, tank size, tankmates...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ichthys said:
As far as the tank, it is a 75 gallon. I have him, a Jack Dempsey, common pleco, eclipse cat, and Striped Raphael Catfish. Nitrate is just over 60, nitrite is about 0, ph is about 6.2, and super hard water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chocolates spend a lot of time looking up like in your pictures. They also change colors a lot. They can go from a dark brown to green to almost purple. Give it some tall plants to hide behind and try to get your nitrates down to 20

1 - 9 of 9 Posts