Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Not really loving my tank, would love some imput

691 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  cjacob316 
#1 ·
So my tank is set up, have the 11 fish until I find those special ones I've been looking for (not including the 4 juvie c.moorii on the devided side). I changed out the tack picture backgrond with a black trash bag until more funds come in. :wink: I like the PFS and slate, but compared to my planted tank, its so boring to look at! The tank it's self, to me, looks like it's missing something, and maybe its because I'm used to having a planted tank. I do have that one live plant in the center, which was left over from when I was trimming back my planted tank. Would love to hear any ideas. Maybe I need to add plants? But would want to do something low tech do I dont have to change out my standard light bulb. Would love to hear any ideas that are on the cheap. :lol:

On a positive note, all my boys come out to see me and dont hid from me anymore. I am now the official bringer of food. :dancing:

See less See more
#2 ·
looks like a great tank to me! although the black bag is noticible you should try construction paper, thats what i use and i love it.

What size is this tank? adding more fish will make it a lot better, try a yellow lab, the bright color will bring some life to the tank.

Post more pics if you change it up.

#3 ·
It's a 125 long. All my fish were sleeping when I turned on the lights. I do have some great bright fish in there, but when it's bed time they sleep in the rocks. Really dont want to add a lab, as its not a peacock or hap, and it seams like everyone has labs. lol. I do want to get a good looking OB and germen red to the tank.

Here is a short video of the boys at dinner time yesterday.

#4 ·
You could switch up the rock pile; go vertical and hide some of the equipment.
From my experience, the fish feel more secure with a DIY rock, pseudo-background.

Either that, you could switch up the rocks and make smaller piles. Perhaps 3 rocks in one pile, 8 rocks in another, etc.... Then place the piles haphazardly in the tank. Don't center them an axis and don't space them (equally) apart. With that in mind, you could also move the plant to one side of the tank so it's not the tank divider so-to-speak.

#6 ·
I think I agree, about changing up the rockwork, I would get some BIG chunky rocks, like ones that weigh 40 - 80 lbs. Also get some smaller ones to stack in between the big ones and make caves, etc... The big rocks will cast shadows and create dark areas giving the tank a much more natural look.

#8 ·
Agree that different shaped/colored rocks arranged with height will add a lot of visual interest. And you can get some interesting ones at any local creek for free. A large silk fake plant to cover one of the pieces of equpiment might help, too. I"ve been pleased with some of those available now in that they look very lifelike. I have a planted tank and my eye is accustomed to that. But when I went for a "simple" tank I went with silk flowers and I'm not "offended" when I look at it.

I'd also consider adding a big, twisty piece of driftwood. I know that's supposed to soften the water, but frankly, I've never experienced that and if you got crushed coral, etc. in the tank, I can't imagine it will mess with your pH very much.

#9 ·
i would also try putting some of them edge on if your substrate is deep enough. i did this with a few of mine, they are also set up in such away that if they do fall they will be caught be other rocks. adds a bit of height to my setup. but i did stack a few flat. that said i also have bigger, non flat rocks that help with hieght.

#10 ·
I think part of your feeling is due to the plants you are missing. Malawi is a bit different with very little plant life, etc. I would also agree with others that the rocks are too much like a man-made bridge. I think you and the fish will be happy if some of the rocks were slid off at angles. this also makes them less apt to fall. For the fish it will give them places to hide where they are truly out of sight. Right now when they are under the rocks they are still open to view. They feel less safe. Now that they know you, they will be out and about where you will see them and they will look brighter as they feel safer.

#11 ·
I put plants in mine. Can't stand a tank w/o them. I'm not going for a pure biotope award winning look.

I did slate for about a month then realized I didn't care for it. I now have random shaped rocks in my tank.

#12 ·
Usually i find that a horizontal balance makes tanks look a little bland. So you need to add some height and a variation of shapes and sizes. I would also make the caves not so horizontal, but more diagonal and very slightly verticle and i do this at the very back of the tank, allowing the front to be a grazing area. I usually try to hide the entrance of caves as well. It will all bring a randomness to the tank which actually in the end brings a perfect balance. Its still very good looking already by the way. :thumb:

#13 ·
Hi!

Nice big tank! lots of room to work with! :)

my two bits... I think:

It needs some added color... yellow, red or orange would pick up the tank a lot.

The staging is too central: everything in one group in the middle of the tank. Try breaking it up into groups: one on the left, and one mid-right. Then jam a plant in the center of one group, and add a contrasting color to the other (ie: orange driftwood or white coral). Seemingly random placement of items has appeal to both the viewer and the fish.

Too many big pieces, not enough small ones? Maybe remove a few larger slate pieces, and use some smaller rocks to prop up big ones... make for lots more hideouts!

Everything is so low... maybe have one item that is tall and slim, like a pillar shape, to bring some height to offset the flatness of the slate.

I am probably repeating some suggestions, but I think the above combination would look fantastic!

Cheers! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.