Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I had bought 5 yellow labs and kept them in my boyfriends tank until I got a bigger tank. He had an aggressive Borleyi, and by the time I got my new tank there were only two left, a male and a female. Soon after putting them in my own tank, I noticed that the female was holding and that the male was still harassing her. So, I bought a couple more labs to distribute the aggression. VERY shortly after I put them in the tank, it looks like BOTH of the new fish are holding!!! :eek: But I'm not sure yet so I can't say.

My question is, what the heck do I do? I don't really have any intention of keeping the fry, so I'm just going to let them release into the tank and whoever survives, survives, and whoever doesn't, well, you know how it goes. Should I take Casanova out and put him in my 10 gallon for now and then put him back in later when they've released their fry into the tank so they aren't harassed to death while they're weakened? Or should I just leave it be?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yeah just let the girls spit in the tank, if you have enough rocks and hiding places maybe one or two of the fry may survive.

I would leave dad in the tank, again rocks and hiding places for the girls would be a good idea.

Well done your fish are obviously happy :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done your fish are obviously happy
Haha yeah, especially him, right? ;) He's just parading himself around the tank with all his beautiful black markings. *shakes head* Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
look get a bunch of small-medium sized rocks, from walnut size to baseball, then put 3-4 big piles of these in your tank... its not the best solution but it saves alot more fry that way

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What size tank is this?

If it's a small one, your best bet may be to remove the male to the 10G tank.

Are the Yellow labs the only fish in the tank?

Kim

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 36 gallon bowfront, and there are the labs, 3 peacocks, 4 rainbows and a pleco. The peacocks are fairly small, as well as the labs. They're all around 2-3 inches, except the sulfur head who's probably about 3.5 inches.

There is a good bit of rock in my tank as it is, but I suppose the smaller ones aren't piled together or anything. I guess I should give that a try.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Ah! I thought it was a colloquial name for some type of Malawi cichlid that I didn't know about. :oops:

I know very little about community fish. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would just keep an eye on things and move them if the stress level gets too high. Males can be relentless, even Yellow labs.

Kim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts