Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up & running for about a week. Demasoni just added. Effin awesome fish!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost done. Waiting on a group of 8 juvie Msobo..

·
Registered
356 Posts
very nice. did you make the background? i love how the stones in the tank match the backing and the sand looks terrific. you have a very colourful tank. :)

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wished I could take credit for it but no, it is a Aquaterra 'Malawi Rock' BG.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Looks like your Labeotropheus is vying for tank boss status at a very young age!

Great job matching the real rocks & the Aquaterra BG.

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ridley-

He is. I think the ratio in that tank right now is 3M/4F. I think there are 2 OB red top + 1 purple/red top males with 4 OB females right now.

He chases the other two alot. He isn't shy by any means.

You can see the purple with red top in the 2nd & third picture.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the dominant male ove the purple with red top? At some point, two have got to go. Assuming the other two are indeed male.

Will do Fogelhund..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
cantrell00 said:
What do you guys think? Should I keep the dominant male ove the purple with red top? At some point, two have got to go. Assuming the other two are indeed male.
Interesting advice I got from Dave Schumacher. I've never thought of m/f ratios this way but it does make some sense:

"I also wouldn't worry too much about the male/female ratio. Personally, I prefer to have multiple males for several reasons. They're typically more colorful than the females, or at least a different color. Also, they want to fight. If you get 10 fish and get 5m,5f, I think the worst thing you could do would be to narrow it to 1m,5f. When your male wants to breed, he's got plenty of females, but when he wants to fight, there are no other males to take the aggression... so he beats on the females instead. Other males would be similar sized, and more capable of dealing with this aggression than the typically smaller females."

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok...

Extrapolated, that would also mean to not make adjustments until they are warranted?

Right now, everything is fine. Chaotic, but fine. Some chasing & skirmishes but nothing out of the ordinary.

The three males in the tank hold true to what Dave is suggesting too. The dominant OB will chase one male til he sees the other one, then the other & so on - til the point he just stops altogether because (I think) he tires himself.

I guess just let them continue to mature & address imbalance as required.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
cantrell00 said:
Extrapolated, that would also mean to not make adjustments until they are warranted?
Maybe it's self-serving, but that's how I choose to read it. When I stock my next tank I will buy more juveniles of each species than I plan to keep as adults. Following the "don't mess with it until it stops working" theory*, I'll spend a lot less time trying to guess who is male and who is not. Less deconstruction, chasing, netting and venting appeals to me somehow.

kevin

*"research-based stocking" as opposed to "that fish looks nice" stocking.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here you go Fogelhund... Light glare is really bad. Is what it is

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Following the "don't mess with it until it stops working" theory*, I'll spend a lot less time trying to guess who is male and who is not. Less deconstruction, chasing, netting and venting appeals to me somehow.
You & I are cut from the same cloth. I hate moving all of the rocks around & catching fish. Have never vented a fish either.

I hate to see fish lterally beat to death. I will take the initiative to do something if it gets that bad.

The only reason why I analyze m/f ratios to begin with is from what I have read on these forums. Many people here are much more experienced than I am. So, I try to take heed if the argument seems logical.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
cantrell00 said:
The only reason why I analyze m/f ratios to begin with is from what I have read on these forums. Many people here are much more experienced than I am. So, I try to take heed if the argument seems logical.
And that's the best way to go.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but the general advice on this forum (which I wholeheartedly support) is to start with the rules and move on to the exceptions once you're experienced.

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.....is to start with the rules and move on to the exceptions once you're experienced.
Like 6 mbuna species in a 4' tank (120 gallons & 2' depth), but a 4' tank nonetheless? :eek:

From what I have read, I knows the odds are unfavorable. I never could narrow it down to just 4, so I went with 6 species as juveniles with the intent to reduce as needed.

Or upgrade to a 180!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
cantrell00 said:
Like 6 mbuna species in a 4' tank (120 gallons & 2' depth), but a 4' tank nonetheless? :eek:

From what I have read, I knows the odds are unfavorable. I never could narrow it down to just 4, so I went with 6 species as juveniles with the intent to reduce as needed.
I know length trumps width, but 2 feet of width can't be ignored - a 120 is a large tank no matter how you slice it.

As long as you're willing & able to pull trouble makers or isolated fish I think you're very much on the right track.

But if you don't have a 10 or 20 gallon hospital tank on standby I might take advantage of some of the post-Christmas deals out there...

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have a 10 & a 20 gallon refuge in my sump...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts