Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isnt technically African Cichlid related but have noticed that my common pleco (about 6 inches) keep coming out of the rock work and swims up to the surface and alway looks like it "blows" out some bubbles on the way up, takes a breath at the surface and then goes right back to the rock pile.

Am I seeing this right? Is that what he is actually doing? None of my Dems or Labs look like they are gasping or anything like that and the smaller pleco doesnt do this at all, just the big albino one.

Any input would be appreciated, is this something to be of concern?

Thanks Ben :-?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
As I sit outside in my backyard all I hear is the big "whuufff" of the plecos taking in a giant gulp of air... they then slowly blow it out as they swim along the bottom. I'd say it is normal, though it is mostly done when the water they are in has limited O2 levels. You might want to think about more aeration unless you think your pleco simply has this as a habit by now. :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've seen my pleco do this once or twice. I have tons of oxygen in the water. However it's almost as if he does this to try and get food. Sometimes there's a floating pellet and he flies in. I think it's normal from time to time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts