Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if we are not supposed to ask about other fish here. In my 30 gallon I had a problem with my bronze corys. They had white raised blotches and fin rot. I was told to use Maracyn and Maracyn 2. This took care of the problem. Today, I noticed one of the guppies has a white fuzzy spot on her head. It actually looks like a tiny piece of fuzz just fell there from someplace. She is acting and eating normal. The white spots that were on the corys were not fuzzy. I have no clue what treatment to use. All I have on hand is Maracyn - TC for popeye, gill disease and fin rot and I also have a bottle of penicillin in gel format. Will either of these help? I can't stand to see a fish in poor health, but this tank has been nothing but a pain in the butt since day one. We have the normal live bearer die off and I have stopped replacing anything. Eventually I plan on taking over this tank and have no live bearers. It is my daughters tank and she not only has lost interest, she is moving in a month to an off campus apartment. As of right now, all that is left in the tank is 2 male and 2 female guppies, one platy, 6 neon tetras, 5 cory and one BN. After my demasonis move out of my 10 gallon, I would like to put the cory and neons in it. I would like to add the bn to my 75 gallon malawi. That just leaves 4 guppies and one platy to deal with. I don't know the actual life span of those fish but they are over 2 years old. To be honest, I am tired of spending a fortune to keep these fish alive. Sorry for my long winded rant. She throws a fit when I talk about getting rid of them. (lfs not killing them) yet I pay for the meds and clean the tank.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
It's probably not a matter of adding a medicine but rather improving water quality via frequent partial water changes.
Try doing a 25% partial water change on the tank every day or every other day for the next week. Check the filter and make sure it's running well with a good strong flow coming out of the filter return. Have a look at the media and make sure it's not gunked up with waste, if so rinse it out in a bucket of tank water.
Siphon the gravel.
Improving water movement may also help. You can improve water movement by simply dropping the water level an inch or two so that the filter return creates a waterfall/splash. Adding a jet will also help or even another filter.

Robin

And I do most of the cleaning and ALL of the buying for my son's tanks, so I hear you. :roll:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I change 1/3 of the water each week. The water is crystal clear. The filter gets cleaned and the water level is low enough that the water movement is good. The gravel gets cleaned every week also. I can keep doing water changes every day or every other day if you think this will help, but I really don't think the water quality is the issue. Ammonia and nitrite are always 0, nitrates are around 10. The guppy in question has a deformity. I never thought it would last as long as it did. I just don't know what the spot is and don't want it to spread to the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Fuzzy white spot on guppy very likely to be flexibacter columnaris
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disea ... mnaris.htm
I would remove it before it spreads.
But long term get your substrate as clean as you can loves to live in dirty substrate and filters, affects any weekend fish and has been known to rip through whole tanks and fish rooms.

Unless you bought badly infected fish I can see no cause for all these probs unless it is tank wise conditions. But fish infected with chronic columnaris will fall prey to any passing infection.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your help. I can move her to my QT tank. Is there any meds for this, or will this kill her? Should I treat the tank with the other fish to be safe?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Cost of treatment is often far greater than the cost of the fish.

Acriflavin based medications, Myxazin etc used in conjunction with salt at the rate of 8grms per gallon are effective for mild cases.

Combine this with chloramphenicol or other broad spectrum antibiotic or in a Qt tank for resistant or bad cases. Prob is these antibiotics destroy your bio filter so you need to remove ammonia by very regular even dayly water changes.

Safer but less effective antibiotic (leaves filter bacteria alone to some extent) are Metronidzole based treatments like Octozin.

Hate to say it but unless the fish has emotional value to you or is high priced I tend to humanely kill and move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts