Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have atm 7 breeder tanks with Aulonocara. All of them are breeding often except for one... my Aulonocara Albinos.
Have any of you had any luck with these fish? Is there a particularity because it's albino? I've never bred albinos before.

Here is a little video I made of my tank. I put them in with some Scianeochromis who are the same age and breeding.
I figured the hap would show the albino how it's done... up to now, he's not a good mentor lol!

Thank you :) :fish:

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Not sure but the albinos are somewhat handicapped and may need to be isolated so they do not have to compete with the Fryeri. Having more dominant fish may suppress the albinos, not show them how it's done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by "handicapped".

·
Registered
940 Posts
I could only see 4 albinos in the video, three males and one female. I should imagine that would explain some of the trouble with breeding them.

Albinos have poor eyesight, and bright tanks are rough on their eyes due to the lack of pigment to protect the nerves. This could also be part of the problem. Makes it difficult for them to find food and compete with other fish.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Yes, that is a good point to determine how many females you actually have? If only one female, she may be too stressed out.

I've seen those albino Aulonocara type (not sure if they are an actual species) act very hesitant because of poor eyesight, but your dominant male seems to be getting around okay. How do they react to the Fryeri?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts