Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to post pics later - I have them, just still on the camera. Anyway, I got a pair of cons from PetSmart, so I don't expect them to be of fabulous quality or anything.

They have these blue iridescent fins - is that normal or does it sound like I have something else mixed in there? I know the lack of pics isn't helpful, but I don't know a lot about cons and had no idea if this was normal.

I got what I think were the pair defending the ornament in the middle of the tank that they were in - hopefully I didn't accidentally take half of the pair when everyone scattered. They seem to get on well in my tank, though I don't see any spawning yet. It's possible that I have two females, but I hope not.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Here is my Petsmart Con when young. Lots of blue (no flash used).

And her today, 2 years later (no flash).

Some Con pics show crazy colors from the flash.

....Bill

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did use the flash, but I can see the blue very clearly even without it. Sometimes, at some angles, I see orange on the fish I believe to be male, but I always see it on the other one.

Do I have a male & female?

here they both have some orange, but it's more clear on my the front one, who I feel sure is female

Here they look nicely dimorphic

the male (I think)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
tigger101023 said:
the male (I think)
I think this is your male, and that the other is the female. Even though it's not a dead giveaway, I think the nuchal hump is a hint that it's a male. Plus I've seen males that have the orange sometimes, so FWIW, I'm thinking you have a male and a female.

Nice humpy head btw, jealous that mine hasn't developed his

·
Registered
308 Posts
i would say u have two females. the nuchal bump can happen with male or female it is just mor likely for the male to have the bump. im not saying im positive it is female but it just has mor characteristics of a female then it does of a male

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TFG confirmed that I had a pair, but now I have proof - my very first spawn :D I noticed the sand dug up a few days ago, but totally missed what must of have been eggs in the area!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheFishGuy said:
:thumb:

Exciting isn't it?
:D it is, even if they are cons, so it's not like I had to do much! Mama did not like me taking pictures last night and an hour or two later, she had the brood moved under a piece of driftwood where I have zero visibility. She's so cute poking her head out from under there, but no more babies for me to see. Oh well...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts