Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]Hi guys/ gyals.com
Fishless cycling my 115
Here is my latest readings been three weeks going.
Fx6 with an Eheim 2217
Should I do a partial WC or let it ride for a week.
Any help appreciated.using prime when topping up .
Ordered some ttss for some additional bacteria.havent added any ammonia.
Eheim had some established media in canister.but just bottom rings.
IMG_20171231_160703.jpg

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You could go ahead and do a water change and it wouldn't affect anything negatively. You have a pretty high level of nitrite and nitrates which are going to have to come down before fish can be added, to zero in the case of the nitrites.

·
Administrator
41,982 Posts
Don't top up the tank. Better to remove water whenever you add water. Can you wait for the weekly change? Or cover the tank to reduce evaporation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Every time you do a water change add a little bit more ammonia back to keep the level around 1-2 ppm. In another week or two you should see the nitrites start to drop, once ammonia and nitrites are both zero after 24 hours your cycle is done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gillmanjr said:
Every time you do a water change add a little bit more ammonia back to keep the level around 1-2 ppm. In another week or two you should see the nitrites start to drop, once ammonia and nitrites are both zero after 24 hours your cycle is done.
Easier to buy a gun in my area then it is to find ammonia.without surfactants.lol.fish food it is

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you have an Ace hardware in your area they sell the Ace brand of janitorial ammonia which is without surfactants.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They sell ammonium chloride on Amazon, the brand is Fritz Aquatics. Its cheap. The good thing about using it is you can dose the tank precisely to get the exact concentration of ammonia that you want. Can't do that with fish food. Plus the food takes time to break down into ammonia. I don't know how much time but I'm pretty sure its at least a day or two.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bumped my heater down a bit.Now that I'm nearing the end.gonna give the ammonia a day or two to drop hopefully to near zero.should I add any additives to the water before I put my first batch of cichlids in.
Tetra safe start plus? Or any stability? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd recommend ordering the ammonia and dosing to 1-2 ppm again, once the tank can completely process the ammonia in 24 hrs then I would feel safe adding fish. You should definitely have a clear ammonia reading of zero before adding any fish.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
You should be processing 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours before adding any fish, that assures your biological filtration can handle the load. If it takes a couple of days then you've still got some waiting to do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.