Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be setting up a planted 20high hopefully to get some kind of apistos. breeding? sure y not. my question is how many pairs can i have in my tank? *** read that in a heavily planted tank people have kept 3 pairs in a 10 and had them breed. thnx

---the noob

·
Registered
10 Posts
It may have happened that a person had kept three pairs of Apistos in one 10 gallon tank and had them breed but....

1) I highly doubt that the fry would have had any chance of survival in such small quarters

and

2) I doubt the fish were "happy" living in such close quarters.

I would not recommend even attempting this, particularly if you have never kept them before. I think that in a 20H you should focus on keeping one pair or maybe a trio of one species. Though apistos can be peaceful in a community aquarium they can terrorize their tankmates, particularly when breeding.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
G'day xmechman93x,

Many species of apisto are hareem breeders, where a male will have a large territory in which a few females will have smaller territories.

My experience with apistos was keeping two trios of agassizii in a 6 foot community tank. I actaully started with 6 females, but the two dominant females killed two of the other females very early on. So I introduced two more females, who were promptly killed as well. It seems that my female apistos had established that 4 females were enough in my tank.

With the males, I had a dominat male and a sub-dominant male. The dominant male would court and be courted by the four females, and would also chase around the sub-dominant male, keeping him away from the females. Three of the females would also chase away the sub-dominant male. After about six months the sub-dominant male challenged the dominant male, and after two days of sparring, I woke up to find the old dominant male dead, and the sub-dominant male colouring up.

I do agree with jaeger222002, that you should start with one pair in a 20gallon high. Have you looked at the cookie cutter setups here at C-F? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_20g.php. I would stick close to the stocking list here. Except I would recommend 6 dwarf corydoras instead of normal corydoras, and 6 to 8 marbled hatchetfish as you have a tall tank, and they will school around the surface. I would also consider adding 3 otocinclus catfish for algea control.

I would look at having atleast two small caves for the female apisto, as they are cave spawners.

As for which species, have you checked out the profiles here? http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/r ... hp?genus=9. Good beginner species are agassizii, borellii and cacatuoides. There are some colour morphs of each species, so it shouldn't be hard to find one you like.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks guys. yeah i fogot all about the cookie cutters. hatchets are known to be jumpers right? idk about hatchets i kind of want to do a open top.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im thinking a pair of some kind of apisto w.e is available at my lfs, a couple of ottos and maybe somekind of tetra

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.