Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have read thru probably way more threads in the forum than I should to try and figure out what is going on with my fish. I'm more confused than anything else. So, I'm hoping you guys can help figure this out.

I have a 75g with 9, lost one yesterday, Mbuna. The tank has been running for about 4 years and over those years I have lost 12 fish. Not all at once, one at a time over months. About two months ago I had to completely tear down my tank due to a faulty filter pad. This pad caused me to lose my two syno. petricolas and three more Mbuna. So while redoing the tank I decided I no longer wanted sand so I used three ceramic floor tiles. The fit great and it really brightened up the tank. In doing this though, I did have to cut back on the faux plants as I had no way to secure them. About a week after that, one of the heaters in the tank came loose and fell to the bottom of the tank and broke. I am now using one heater and water temp is good, steady 78 degrees.

After the tank redo, the fish had been doing fine up until about a week or so ago. They all stay at one end of the tank and they have all but quit eating. They have been finicky in the past about not wanting to eat the food that they normally eat, so I changed. Found something they ate and stuck with it for the past year. Tried some other foods this past week and no go, they spit it right back out, flakes, pellets, doesnt matter. I checked the ammonia and it is at 0. I have not checked the nitrite or nitrate as I was told that as long as the ammonia is 0 it is fine.

I'm sure I have left out something so please ask away. Any and all help is appreciated as always. :thumb:

Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
It is possible for your nitrite or nitrate to be out of whack even when ammonia is zero. Grab a test kit and post the results.

Is there still a lot of rocks in the tank for them to take cover in, or is it bare?

Why are they on one side, is there an aggressor on the other side?

What is the food you have been feeding for the last year?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a test kit and will post the results tonight.

I did leave some rock work and some plants for hiding and such. There is less than there was but not a drastic change.

I have no idea why they are on one side. It's like there is a wall in the center of the tank that they can't pass thru. Occasionally they will swim over the the other side but 95% of the time they stay grouped on the right side.

I have been feeding them Omega One Cichlid flakes supplemented with Omega One Super Veggie flakes.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Any other symptoms? Breathing hard? Hiding a lot? Are they pooping normally (brown)? No white thready poop? Swelling or emaciation?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Currently two yellow labs are up at the top of the tank, very lethargic. A third yellow lab seems fine, swimming about, albeit on the right side of the tank.

The poop I see is all brown to a red color, I see no white threadlike poop.

Everyones breathing looks normal.

Bellies look like a nice curve from head to tail on most, but a few, including the two yellow's at the top of the tank do have slightly sunken bellies.

I ran tests again to verify my first tests and checked the temps again. All looks to be okay.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Can you verify they are all pooping? Absence of poop is a symptom as well.

The two at the top are showing signs of distress. Given that and the not eating I might treat with metronidazole. My fish usually show improvement within two days but I continue the treatment for the full week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm...how would I tell if they are all pooping? I guess if they each had their own toilet I could tell when they flushed. :lol: Kidding of course.

Does metronidazole have another name? Or is there something similar I can get at Petsmart or Petco? I have no petshops within an hours driving distance. :(

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I have trouble getting it at LFS, my chain pet stores never have it. I order it online.

Yes in order to diagnose fish you have to really watch closely. Like on a weekend if you check every hour or so you can usually catch each fish pooping...if they are.

Fish Zole is a marketing name, also Jungle Labs Parasite Clear contains metronidazole and other medications.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, if any of the rest of them make it thru the next day, I'm off on Friday so I'll see if I can catch them pooping.

I'll order something online and hopefully it'll get here in time to save some of them, assuming that they can be treated.

Thanks for the help thus far and I'll be sure and post any changes and updates.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
The only thing I know that has red is septicemia and that is bacterial. You would want a different med for a bacterial infection, like Maracyn and Maracyn2. I have never treated septicemia. Maybe others will chime in with a different diagnosis or med recommendation.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well ****! Came home tonight to find two more dead...the yellow labs. :x Those two were the only two showing signs of the red blotches but others may follow.

Yesterday, I went ahead and ordered some of the meds you recommended. Even if they are not needed for this issue, I'll have them on hand. On the two dead fish, I noticed some white stuff, and upon closer inspection, I saw it on a couple others. It looks more like fungus growths than the 'salt grain' look of ick. However, I had to do something so I went the store and bought some API Pimafix and API Super Ick Cure. I started them on that per the bottle instructions, including raising the temp to 82 degrees. I guess at this point it's a **** shoot and I'll go thru this round of meds and see if that helps.

If things don't go well, I guess I can think about doing the syno. cat tank I have always wanted. I hate to lose these guys though as I have had 5 of the 6 remaining for the 4+ years I have had my aquarium. And my Bumblebee is about 7" long and I love his color changing. I have my fingers crossed. :( And of course any other thoughts are welcomed.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
With fuzzy stuff added to the mix, I would advise you to Google columnaris and see if it looks like what is on your fish.

It is a fast acting infection that is difficult to cure, so the sooner the better.

When I tried to treat something I thought was columnaris (gray patch on the fish, it would get fuzzy stuff on the patch when it was worse), I had the best results with Maracyn and Maracyn2 used in combination.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm seeing white stringy poop from a couple fish and one of them is nosing on the tank floor. And they are all flashing quite a bit. This isn't going well...:(

Other than the one nosing, the other 5 fish are swimming around alot more and they are eating some algae wafers. Still snubbing their regular food though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, just lost the red top that was nosing. He went quick. :(

So much for a Happy New Year; between this and what looks to be an onslaught of severe weather in the area, the end of 2010 is really the pits and the first day of 2011 isn't looking too good. :(

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
Sorry for your losses. It's hard to feel helpless. :(

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, it is hard to cope with. Not as hard as when I lost my dog earlier this year but still a bit disheartening.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I think I have knocked this virus/disease/bacteria with the products I mentioned above. It has been four days and I have not lost another fish. I don't really know what it was but it seems to be gone. Sadly though, I now only have four fish. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts