Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I could not agree Auballagh more. And less. Typical Strum.

The organisms you need absolutely only "function" if they're growing on a surface. They can stay alive in the water, but they don't "do their job" there. The friendly Celtic Virginian suggests to rub medium upon medium with vigorous malice aforethought. I had not though of this method. Makes sense and should work great. Also of great utility, and my usual method, is to squeeze an old sponge filter in the tank. They key issue is the biofloc (biofilm) that only grows ON things. You squeeze the sponge filter to get it off of there and now it's in your water. So, if you turn your filter on, it should go all throughout the whole tank and also populate your biomedia and you're off to the races - er.. LFS.

BUT, many (most?) people run their tanks with mechanical filtration. What happens here is that they have squozen (I'm keeping it. It's new, it's mine and I love it. Squozen.) the bb off the sponge filter, then it gets stuck in the mechanical filtration and is removed - because we're told to replace it weekly. Not saying you did this, just adding a comment for posterity.

I also believe in inoculation, and have done it in my tanks with everything from dirt to yeast to live plants to live blackworms, to bottled bacteria.

·
Premium Member
4,667 Posts
Oh El Hefe'.....
When, THE Strum holds forth? We - including your ever-helpful (and friendly!), Celtic Virginian - must indeed, most definitely parse, THE Word.
And, though in truth I must warn all that THE Strum is want for,
- His Aquarium-Keeping Heresy.
- Offered recommendations that are truly RIFE with Contradictions (of himself - usually).
- His personal experiences, that DO inform - and often delight.
- A razor-sharp wit, that though curiously blunt in personal... affront. Can be quite memorable in professional... intent.

Bottom Line: THE Strum's efforts, contributions and C-f Written Word have been most definitely appreciated by this most humble of appreciative (and helpful!) Celtic Virginians.
-
And yes, SenorStrum's (written) belief in beneficial bacteria inoculation, and all of it's myriad, beneficial effects - should inform my recommendation rather nicely.
Jusst dooo eet! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Now four weeks in... STILL no nitrite or nitrate...

I have done a PWC twice and reduced the ammonia a bit... Right now it's hovering between 1,5 and 3... I still have some fish food in, a couple of rotting shrimp in the sump and the borrowed filterfoam has moved into the other foam in the sump.

Plenty of water movement and high temp... Only development in the tank is fastforming brown residue on the rocks, which can be scrubbed off with relative ease..

I don't know what else to do...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Auballagh said:
- Offered recommendations that are truly RIFE with Contradictions (of himself - usually).
OK - guilty as charged. But! This is only because I'm so often wrong and deserve to be contradicted. :D

Also, is this tank cycled yet? Speaking of which, somebody better check on Rhinox...

·
Banned
1 Posts
DJRansome said:
It does take a while for the chemicals to build up and the organisms to grow initially. Allow six weeks on average, you should see results begin to be measurable soon.

I would shoot for 2ppm on the ammonia.
Just give the tank time. The cycling process usually takes six to eight weeks. After about eight weeks, your ammonia and Nitrite levels should be acceptable (about trace levels), and you can add more fish.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts