Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to set up my new 125 gallon aquarium today. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I thought I had everything I needed. I was glad to finally be finished forking out $$$. When I opened my FX5 box to find out it didn't come with any biomedia. It has to be the only filter on the planet that don't come with it. I ended up having run to Petsmart and over paid $60 for some biomax. I'm out of cash and don't have enough money to get all the biomax I need. Man this really ticks me off. I'm seeing red over this. For what this filter costs you'd think they'd be able to include it. I wish I would have bought 2 rena xp3's.

·
Registered
869 Posts
frank1rizzo said:
Dude... 1$ pot scrubbers from the .99 store work just fine. :(
Dude... that's not the point the OP is trying to make....

.99 cents times (X number of scrubbies) needed still equals more money the OP is having to shell out for his filtration.

Yet still... I think you will have a great filter when it's all said and done...

·
Registered
141 Posts
jd_7655 said:
I went to set up my new 125 gallon aquarium today. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I thought I had everything I needed. I was glad to finally be finished forking out $$$. When I opened my FX5 box to find out it didn't come with any biomedia. It has to be the only filter on the planet that don't come with it. I ended up having run to Petsmart and over paid $60 for some biomax. I'm out of cash and don't have enough money to get all the biomax I need. Man this really ticks me off. I'm seeing red over this. For what this filter costs you'd think they'd be able to include it. I wish I would have bought 2 rena xp3's.
Don't be mad with the FX5......it's your own fault for not reading the box . Plus , there are countless threads on this forum about the FX5 . FYI...the Rena XP3 don't come with bio-media either . My advice to you ..... DO YOUR HOMEWORK .

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
cichlid_baby said:
frank1rizzo said:
Dude... 1$ pot scrubbers from the .99 store work just fine. :(
Dude... that's not the point the OP is trying to make....

.99 cents times (X number of scrubbies) needed still equals more money the OP is having to shell out for his filtration.

Yet still... I think you will have a great filter when it's all said and done...
They come in packs of 5, you would only need to buy 2. I don't think 2$ will break the bank. Not enough to post a thread. :)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yeah, noticed the same thing. Though this is my first aquarium so I wasn't really expecting anything, a sample or coupon maybe. Got me 3 boxes of bio-max for two trays and a box of charcoal for one (this will be going right before I put the fishies in, just wanted to get the chemicals out of my tap water). I've got some bio-balls I picked up at the rock quarry when I was picking up some rock for the aquarium. Yeah, go figure bio-balls at a rock quarry, guess it makes a little sense as they do do some landscaping on the side (ponds and stuff).

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think he has a valid gripe and some of you folks are being less than kind. I'd have expected it to come with media too. And shouting and scolding isn't apppropriate behavior here. Please be more considerate of others.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
the FX5 doesnt come with media?

sboisvert
a box of charcoal for one (this will be going right before I put the fishies in, just wanted to get the chemicals out of my tap water

charcoal(carbon) is really not needed for this purpose ,prime(seachems)water conditioner is usually all that is needed

·
Read Only
0 Posts
newforestrob said:
the FX5 doesnt come with media?

sboisvert
a box of charcoal for one (this will be going right before I put the fishies in, just wanted to get the chemicals out of my tap water

charcoal(carbon) is really not needed for this purpose ,prime(seachems)water conditioner is usually all that is needed
Heh, yeah no media comes with the FX5.... Wish I knew that before (the seachems thing), but I'm new to this, this is my first aquarium. Live and learn. Lol, I feel like I'm back in Chemistry class, checking ammonia levels, PH, water hardness, nitrites, nitrates.... Kids think its funny for some reason.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
supadave said:
jd_7655 said:
Don't be mad with the FX5......it's your own fault for not reading the box . Plus , there are countless threads on this forum about the FX5 . FYI...the Rena XP3 don't come with bio-media either . My advice to you ..... DO YOUR HOMEWORK .
I didn't have a chance to read the box since I ordered online. Over 20 years I've bought a lot of filters and this is the only one that don't come with biomedia. I did a lot of research on reviews for the FX5 and I didn't come across anything that said it didn't come with the media.

The last filter I bought was an Ehiem Ecco and it came with enough biomedia to fill the FX5. Fluval could have provided it at little cost considering the filter costs $350.

After all the filters I've used over the years I see nothing special about the fx5. I could have bought 2 filters of anohter brad for the price I paid for it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't be mad with the FX5......it's your own fault for not reading the box . Plus , there are countless threads on this forum about the FX5 . FYI...the Rena XP3 don't come with bio-media either . My advice to you ..... DO YOUR HOMEWORK .[/quote]

Last Rena I bought came with sponges and stars.

·
Registered
146 Posts
supadave said:
jd_7655 said:
yes it does. Do your homework.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.