Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 acei in our 55g. tank (eventually want to get a 5ft. tank for them and then add a couple more acei). All 3 of these were bought at the same time and were the same size (about 1.5"). I think I have one male and 2 females. The one I think is male is now larger than the other 2 at around 4"...it also has 2 egg spots where the other 2 only have one.

Hubby and I were sitting watching the fish the other night and the male acei did the "show off shimmy" for one of the females. It's the first time I had ever seen him do this and I told hubby he was ready to mate. No sooner did I get those words out of my mouth and the female started dropping eggs. They were about mid way up in the tank and as the eggs fell out, one at a time 4-5 in all, the male gobbled them up like candy before they even had a chance to hit the ground.

Maybe they'll get it right eventually. They aren't full grown yet but from what I've read they are plenty big enough to breed. Maybe I won't have to buy a couple more after all :thumb:

·
Registered
105 Posts
g-day dewdrop,

i too have yellow tail acei, mine are about 2.5 inches give or take. ( 5 of)
i had one holding a few weeks back but it didn't come to anything.
yours are bigger than mine so it's about time they gave you something back!

mmm, i'm thinking music therapy,

barry white

michael buble

any romantic music you can think of, you never know. :lol: :lol:

good luck

regards chromedome :thumb:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey chromedome, Thanks for the advice but they don't make headphones for fish and I'd hate to give hubby false hope...that would just be mean :wink:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Dewdrop, for some reason my Acei spawn rarely and I've never really had survivor fry from them. I've had them almost 3 years. They have spawned (relatively rarely though) but they either swallow the eggs or the fry get snapped up immediately. I wonder if that happens more often when Acei are kept with aggressive species like you and I have?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm I wonder DJRansome.
I know my male wasn't starving and that's why he ate the eggs. I feed them usually 3 times a day for heavens sake. I've got some maingano fry in the tank in some low plastic plant stuff and the acei spend alot of time acting like they know fry are in there and want to eat them. I've even found the plastic plant floating at the top of the tank a couple times and think the acei are the ones responcible.
I wonder too if it might be from being overstocked.

I priced tanks at a LFS today. I was really wanting a 60" tank but it looks like I will settle for a 75g. The price difference was soooo much more for the extra foot (extra depth don't impress me lol). He priced me a standard 75g.48"x18"x22" (oak look trim) pine cabinet (oak stained) & glass top with light for $299.99. The 120g.60"x18"x26" with same extras was $699.99. Unless I get lucky and find something on craiglist etc. I'll be getting the 75g. my next payday. Then I can divide the fish up between the 55g. and the 75g.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Dewdrop, my female acei was holding last week too, but nothing came of that. We were planning to isolate her and the next day she was eating with all of the other fish. :(

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Dewdrop, you can only fit 4 species in a 75G and if you want to keep all your species, you really NEED that extra foot.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey morningsky...wonder what it is with acei. Surely somebody is having luck breeding them.

Darn it DJRansome LOL! I just don't want to put out that kinda money right now for one extra foot (although I'd sure like the acei to have it). It really ticks me off that the price is more than double for one extra foot. I'll keep the 55g. going too with some in it and if push does come to shove, I have another 55g. I can use too. Maybe I'll check out this guy I heard about that's local who builds tanks and see what kinda price he can give me on a 5ft. before I jump on the 75g. Darn it, I was so sure I had my mind made up and was getting a nice new very pretty tank real soon. Now you got me thinking again.

When our last daughter goes to college this fall I could put a really long tank where her bed is lol.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
How many species do you have now and are you still set on keeping all of them? I don't think the extra foot is just to give the Acei swimming room, LOL!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dewdrop, I've had problems getting milder mannered species to breed in high stress tanks. This may be part of your problem.

Or, it may have been two females doing a number on you, as well. I've had two female johannis go through full spawning simulation...One would pick up the eggs and hold them, the other was eating them just as fast as she could. I literally watched them bump heads one time trying to get at the egg that hit the sand.

Kim

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh thanks for the info on the acei behavior, Kim.

DJRansome, I'm not really sure what all I want to keep. The kenyi isn't high on my list of have to haves mainly because I have trouble finding nice females. I haven't had any problems out of them yet aggression wise though. Really the tank has been pretty peaceful considering the stocking list. I just did an inventory and this is it, with my comments lol. Suggestions will be appreciated and considered :wink: .
55g.
2- Banded Leporinus fasciatus
They are now about 5-6". We didn't know how big they got when we got them. Hubby thinks it's time to give them up but I'm dragging my feet.
2-Plecos
One might be enough.
3-albino P. socolofi
1M.1F. 1unsure. I really like these alot and recently got the only one walmart had and put it in the 10g. tank to grow out. Hoping it's female(that makes me having4and looking for more).
4-maingano
1M.3F. (I think. For sure 2 are female and at least 1M. cause I had 2 holding and have fry) I like these alot too.
3-y.labs
I might give these up. I started out with 3 and they were all males. One started getting picked on by another y. lab so I put it in the 10g. tank until I return it to the LFS. I bought another mid sized one (put in the 55g.)that I now think is male too and a real small one that I put in the 10g. to grow out. Have 5 all together counting the 2 in the 10g.
2-M.auratus
I had 3 and all were male so I took one that was getting picked on by another back to the LFS. Hubby and I do really like the looks of these (females) and would like to try to keep them.
3-albino M.auratus
1M.2F. I also like these alot and looking forward to fry from them but both times I had one holding they swallowed.
3-red zebras
All male. Will return 2 and try to get some females. I'm surprised there isn't trouble with them. The biggest one thinks he's the king of the tank but he doesn't hurt anybody.
3-kenyi
1M.2F. (I think) I had another what I thought was female but it started turning yellow so I took it back to the LFS. I could give these up. Good quality is hard to find.
4- cobalts
I think only one is female and they aren't great quality either so could give them up too.
3- acei
I think 1M.2F. Like them alot and would like to have a couple more in a longer tank lol.
2-N. brichardi
They'll be getting their own tank.
1-C. borleyi
Didn't know what it was when I got it. Not sure if I'll keep it or not.
A batch- of maingano fry hiding in rocks

10g.
1-big male y. lab .....(temp. until I return it to the LFS)
1-tiny y. lab ...... hopefully female
1-tiny red top zebra .....thought it was another C. borleyi when I bought it. Will return it.
1-tiny giraffee .....because my daughter likes them
1-tiny red zebra ....hoping female
1-tiny socolfi ....I dunno why
3-tiny auratus.....hopeing females

1.5g.
4-maingano fry from our first batch

I know even the little 10g. tank sounds crazy. I used the big y. lab to cycle the tank and I'm making sure he is ok before returning him to the LFS. The cycle went smooth as silk and was complete in a week(the first time I checked it).
The other fish are really small and will be added to the bigger tank when they get a little more size to them. Then the 10g. will be used for the maingano fry to grow out.

Maybe for the 75g. or bigger, keep
maingano, albino socolofi, red zebra, acei, and the odd venustus and c. borleyi? Maybe the 2 leporinus too?

In the 55g. keep
auratus and the albino auratus and maybe either the cobalts or labs or get more socolofi for the one lone one I have.

Maybe just call that guy that builds tanks and put a huge one in my daughters room for all of them.... but what would I do with the extra space in the livingroom..... I bet you know :wink:

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I rest my case, you need the biggest tank you can get. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amen, but for now I'll just get that pretty 75g. to look nice in the livingroom. Sure would like to have it fit the wall at 60" but just can't bring myself to justify paying 400 more dollars for an extra foot of tank. It doesn't make sence. I know having all those fish in a 55g. doesn't make sence either lol but I WILL thin them out. Hey, I've already taken a couple back to the LFS so I can do it. :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Or you could just seal off your windows and flood your house and set them free! :lol:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't give me ideas, Kim lol. The family already thinks I'm nuts because of the fish. No offence to cat people, I love cats too but I'd rather be the crazy fish lady than the crazy cat lady that has cats and litter boxes ALL OVER the house :lol:

With 4 kids we've had all kinds of pets. Dogs, cats, rats, the list goes on but I've never got into anything as much as these fish. Maybe I got the fish gene from my mother. She had guppies when I was a kid and eventually had them in everything that would hold water sitting around the house lol. Even when we took the trip to my grandparents farm 350 miles away for the summer, I had to share the backseat floor board with containers of guppies :roll: .

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well, I'm the crazy fish lady and the crazy cat lady - all rolled into one - with only one litterbox...I'm down to one cat now, but I don't feel too bad...My best friend has 11 cats and a kiddie pool for a litter box! :lol:

My father hated animals so I never got to have many growing up. I'm making up for lost time!

Kim

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:eek: Are you serious, Kim? A kiddie pool INDOORS for a litter box? She must have a big house! I bet she has LOTS of room for tanks lol.

We had alot of cats at one time too but now we don't have any, just one dog (that I keep telling to go to the light :oops: ) She's really getting old and a pain in the butt. She'll go to the door and scratch to go out, when you go open the door for her she turns around and goes back to the bedroom and lays down. She doesn't do this all the time but some days, especially if it's raining out lol. She still gets around good but doesn't see or hear as well as any more.

She's really the reason we have fish. One of our daughters knew Mollie (our dog) wouldn't be around that much longer so she wanted to get me a puppy. I told her I didn't want another dog, that at this stage in my life (I'm 51 was 50 then) the only thing I'd want to take care of might be a fish. I was thinking along the lines of a betta in a bowl lol but she got us a used 55g. tank.

I really would not have believed I would get into it so much but I sure did. I think one of the best perks is after Mollie is gone, we can actually go away for the weekend and not have to have someone come in to take care of anything lol. Hubby insists that I won't be able to let them go a day without feeding them but I think I can.

Sorry so long :roll: I get long winded errrr fingered.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts