Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been using NLS 1mm pellets for over a year now.
Decided to try there Probiotix range to see if I noticed any difference (apart from the extra cost)
The tub says cleaner water and improved digestion and their promo video mentions less fish waste.
I have been feeding this exclusively for over a month now and I've noticed the bottom of the tank is nowhere near as dirty as using NLS standard pellets - If I had to estimate I'd say half the fish waste as before

My question is how is this possible and has anyone else tried these or noticed the same thing..?

·
Registered
503 Posts
shiftyfox said:
..My question is how is this possible and has anyone else tried these or noticed the same thing..?
The excess waste derives from materials in commercial fish food that are largely indigestible, i. e. 'fillers.' In general, the more expensive the food, the less 'filler,' and vice versa. That said, some fishes require a certain amount of poorly-digestible 'roughage' in their diet, especially herbivores like Tropheus, but also omnivores like Ophthalmotilapia, which have long digestive tracts. Finding an appropriate diet for fishes with specialized needs is a really important part of their husbandry. :fish:

·
Registered
641 Posts
shiftyfox said:
Have been using NLS 1mm pellets for over a year now.
Decided to try there Probiotix range to see if I noticed any difference (apart from the extra cost)
The tub says cleaner water and improved digestion and their promo video mentions less fish waste.
I have been feeding this exclusively for over a month now and I've noticed the bottom of the tank is nowhere near as dirty as using NLS standard pellets - If I had to estimate I'd say half the fish waste as before

My question is how is this possible and has anyone else tried these or noticed the same thing..?
I noticed this with Northfin pellet varieties vs the various NLS pellets I used to use.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Doesn't NLS use clay in their pellets? Pretty sure that's what the red sludge is that's found in our canister filters.
I started using Northfin a few years back in conjunction with NLS and the amount of waste in the tank is nowhere near as much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like they changed there formula in 2017 and added bentonite clay as a binder which provides an extra source of minerals while cutting down even more on the starch the pellets contained. Also added ginger alongside garlic for its immune boosting and anti-parasitic effects.
I've tried them all - NLS, Vitalis, Hakari and Northfin and have stuck to NLS - why? - because it's the best, you only have to look at the ingredients list compared to others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts