Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a tank has sufficient ammonia oxidizers established but no nitrite oxidizers, would the addition of X ppm of ammonia produce an equal ppm of nitrite (once ammonia has returned to 0 ppm), or is some of the ammonia "lost" through this stage of the cycle?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It actually increases, but I don't have the info in front of me. If I recall, 1ppm of ammonia will become 3ppm of nitrate, ultimately.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea what the approximate nitrite level would be if there are no nitrite oxidizers to produce nitrates?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Should be a 1 to 1 ratio, right? no2, no3

·
Registered
453 Posts
The actual conversion is nearly 1 to 1.

But the measurement you get depends on the kit you are using. This is why it is always best to talk about, and measure ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in terms of nitrogen. Think of it as using the same scale to measure all three.

Most kits measure in terms of nitrogen and those that don't usually give you the conversion if not the math gets messy.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fishless cycle for my 15 gallon tank looks as follows:

Day 21
ammonia: 0.25 ppm
nitrites: 0.25 ppm

added 4 drops of Dr. Tim's ammonia (enough to bring ammonia to just under 1.0 ppm)

Day 24
ammonia: 0.25 ppm (I have yet to get a 0 reading for the ammonia and my tap water is fine)
nitrites: 2.0 ppm

The above test results are using the API liquid test kit.

This is pretty consistent with what you all have indicated, right? (assuming the nitrite oxidizers are not working at a measurable level yet)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
looks right to me

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Me too... Just don't dose with ammonia to the point that the nitrites exceed 5.0 PPM. 4.0 is probably a safer target...

That is difficult to do & is a moving target. In my experience, dosing at .50 PPM in the latest stages was just as effective & helped keep the nitrites in check...

You can always raise the dosage incrementaly after you have cycled @ .50 PPM. I did it that way because I was fully stocking the tank when I added the fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts