Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

I am back for another expert opinion. I tested the water in our tank again today. I did a water change and cleaned the filter and so far the tank is looking great! but my nitrites are 1 and I am sure if this acceptable. ph is 8.0 Nitrates are 0 and Ammonia is in between 0-.25.
Ok what is safe? and what isn't acceptable?

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry forgot to say there are not any fish in this tank (as of yet) we are just getting it set up and we're doing a fishless cycling. Still need to add a few things besides fish like a backing LOL but I am hoping to get that taken care of today.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are using dechlorinated water :thumb: We cleaned the filter because it was icky and I was not sure that it helping it I though that maybe it was hinder it instead. :( I have a 135 gal and we're have a Rena Px 4.
I have to tell you that I was miss informed about alot of things till I found this site :thumb: I have learned more from you all and this site than I have learned from people that "know" (not just the fish store)
We are doing the fishless cycling as I said and we have borrowed a lava rock from a friend :-? (I don't know her personally. she's a friend of my mother-in-laws) that has had her tank for 3 yrs (maybe longer). The rock has only been in there for about a couple of days.
At first we just had the tank running with just a filter and nothing else (advise from Daughter's BF, thought he knowledgable. finding out he's not as smart as he thinks he is :lol: ) So that lasted about a month. (one of the reasons I cleaned the filter)
I have been adding ammonia for 3 days now. We also added Prime to it today. We added cichlid buffer to it after a water change 3 days ago and I also put some aquarium salts in it after the water change (Not sure that is good but I do it with the tropical tank on an occasion)
We are planning on Mbunas to stock it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.