Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a test kit at home and a lfs that tests water for free and both tell me i have about 0.2mg/l of nitrite in my tank. I didnt think this was a whole lot but my LFS advised me to wait a week. :(

I waited a week, and today tested my water and got my lfs to test it too... same reading of about 0.2 mg/l. I was told to wait another 5 days.

Everything else has balanced out but this is frustrating me. neither myself or the lfs cant tell if its on the rise or if its dropping down. So im going to start testing daily or whenever i have time.

What should i do, and are there any african cichlids that can be healthy in this water to help it cycle?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is the third week of the cycle. it is a fishless cycle but i put a dirty filter cartridge from an established tank into my big tank for a few days.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, im too worried about not adding the right amount

·
Registered
542 Posts
Your tank will not cycle without an amonia source. The bacteria that you have added will die off because that is their food source. You either have to add amonia or do a fish cycle (fish waste adds amonia) which is VERY hard on fish, many do not survive.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i placed a dirty filter cartridge in the tank though, shouldnt that help????

·
Registered
976 Posts
Malawidolphin said:
Your tank will not cycle without an amonia source. The bacteria that you have added will die off because that is their food source. You either have to add amonia or do a fish cycle.
what he said...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going to do a water change to dilute the salinity then add some mollies or something and see if that'll work

·
Registered
80 Posts
Adding any fish will help out because they will add the ammonia to the equation. Like everyone else said you will never fully cycle without giving bacteria a source of food. So either add ammonia or fish, but not both

·
Registered
542 Posts
You should probably do a little research on the Nitrogen cycle because you need to understand it to maintain a healthy tank and it will help you deal with problems down the line. This forum is a great source of information but understanding WHY certain advice is given will help greatly.
Mollies love brackish water and they are healthier in high salt content water.
good luck :thumb:
Karen

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i got some mollies and added them to the tank. 2 of the four are pregnant and i have no clue if any babies will survive with the nitrite staying at the same level

1 - 15 of 15 Posts