Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sad how fast the tide can swing, woke up this morning to feed the fish and the fry tank, notised 3 of the new fry not looking so good breathing fast and laying on there side.

why do these things always happen when your on the way out the door and running late, so while the wife is going off saying hurry up done a quick ammonia test there was a little so after more yelling done a 40% water change thinking i could retest and see how it all was when i got home

got home and all wasnt well 2 out of the 11 new fry are left alive the holding mum had spat all hers and you guessed it, all dead but 1, i moved the last 2 to the main tank and they have recovered in a breeding net fine, older fry 2cm are fine

tested the water ammonia 0 nitrite .25ppm would have been about .50 this morning. being now somewhat dissapointed *** changed the fry tank setup, bigger filter with establised media from the main tank, i had thin substrate before i think this hindered proper cleans so its now bare bottom with some rock to break up the flow, as well as a higher rated heater to help keep temps more consistant

little wiser this evening :(

Pete

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Nitrite is a killer. What caused the spike?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as all my testing can tell etc i think the substrate was holding to many left overs even tho doing water changes, hence going over to the bare tank

2 that i rescued are doing fine i thought they were gone as well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.