Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tank has been going now for a little over a month w/ 4 platies in it doing well. A couple of weeks ago my ammonia spiked then went to zero. My nitrites then spiked and nitrates started showing up. Almost 2 weeks later and nitrite hasnt lowered and i have been doing a twice weekly 15 percent water change. What can i do to rid this?

as of this morning my nitrite is at 2ppm

·
Registered
509 Posts
You might find this article helpful in understanding what is going on.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cycling.php

What you do though is keep doing large water changes until your tank is properly cycled. I would say if 15% isn't dropping the nitrite levels you need to change more water.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not sure how to directly answer your question as the only cycle I have completed was a 60 day fishless cycle (non-seeded).

I am though curious as to the size of your tank and what you plan on stocking when your cycle is complete.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking of doing more water changes, but didnt know if i did too much if it would kill the bacteria in my tank and delay the cycle process.

Its a 29g and once cycled i want to add a few more platies, a couple of kribs and some tetras

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
Big water changes won't kill bacteria. That's a myth.
I've seen them inhibit nitrifiers, doesn't always, but it's definitely not a myth. It happens, others have experienced the same. And I'm talking about like an 80-90% change. Smaller changes haven't done the same thing. And not all of the bacteria were killed off, as I just experienced a day or two nitrite spike. That's why I caution people not to get crazy with the amount changed in a cycling or newly cycled tank.

There's some debate about water changes. I've cycled tanks just fine without doing them, but others consider them important.

Almost 2 weeks later and nitrite hasnt lowered and i have been doing a twice weekly 15 percent water change. What can i do to rid this?
Patience, 3 weeks isn't untypical. This part seems to take forever. And your nitrate readings aren't valid with nitrite in the tank as most nitrate kits first convert to nitrite, so you're really getting the total nitrate + nitrite.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
prov356 said:
dielikemoviestars said:
Big water changes won't kill bacteria. That's a myth.
I've seen them inhibit nitrifiers, doesn't always, but it's definitely not a myth. It happens, others have experienced the same. And I'm talking about like an 80-90% change. Smaller changes haven't done the same thing. And not all of the bacteria were killed off, as I just experienced a day or two nitrite spike. That's why I caution people not to get crazy with the amount changed in a cycling or newly cycled tank.

There's some debate about water changes. I've cycled tanks just fine without doing them, but others consider them important.

Almost 2 weeks later and nitrite hasnt lowered and i have been doing a twice weekly 15 percent water change. What can i do to rid this?
Patience, 3 weeks isn't untypical. This part seems to take forever. And your nitrate readings aren't valid with nitrite in the tank as most nitrate kits first convert to nitrite, so you're really getting the total nitrate + nitrite.
Well that puts my mind at ease...i didnt know it can take that long..ammonia seemed to only take 2 days or so, so i thought it was going to be the same...im confused though about what u meant about the nitrate readings..If im reading 2ppm nitrite and 10ppm nitrate what does that mean?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If im reading 2ppm nitrite and 10ppm nitrate what does that mean?
It's too early to be testing nitrate and you don't need to worry about the readings right now, but what it probably means is that nitrite is 2ppm and nitrate is really 8ppm. But, that's assuming these kits are much more precise than they truly are.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hey there guys,

Im also having the same problem at the moment with nitrites.

Prov356- with the nitrites returning back to normal after 2-3 weeks, does that mean you have to do daily water changes for this period or just the normal twice weekly waiting for things to return to normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well this morning my nitrites were at .25 so i guess im almost there!

mosuhu, i dont know if this helps, but i started doing 15% water change every other day and seemed to lower it pretty dramatically.

·
Registered
96 Posts
mitchell, I was advised to use some tetra safestart, this is supposed to help boost the bacteria back into the bio media to help keep those levels where they are supposed to be. its a bottle of live bacteria, and so far it is showing good signs.

This means however, i cant do water changes for a week or so to give the bacteria a chance to multiply. heres a link that might be some help..

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/freshwater-general-discussion/62105-tetra-safe-start.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts