Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it was time to quit stalking the page and join. I’ve read a lot of good information on here and wanted to thank you guys for all your help. Every question asked was a question I had at one point.

I was gifted a (used, but less than a year old) 55 gallon tank. I wanted a cichlid tank; 35 years ago, I had an Oscar tank. Information has surely changed since then. I set up the tank with the gravel, filter, and decorations I was given; telling my wife that “It’s free. It won’t cost us a thing except the fish”. (Laugh break.)
Fast forward many failures (mixing African and South American cichlids, rushing the cycle, NUMEROUS amounts of chemicals, etc) and I finally have the set up I want. I had one surviving fish (female venustus juvenile) and decided to let her cycle it. I removed all the resin/fake decor and replaced it with Texas Holey Rock (I LOVE living in Texas, lol). I removed the gravel and replaced it with African Cichlid sand from my local “big box pet store”, while keeping the water in the tank. (Five hours of scooping; never again. That included washing the sand.)
It was sitting on an old tv stand and I knew that a disaster was in the making. I drained the tank and put it on a stand that could hold the weight. I then refilled it and let it sit. (The poor venustus was in a bucket with a sponge filter while I did this.)
Over the past week+, I have added a few more venustus (3) and assorted peacocks. Here’s my question (precursor statement first):
Water change a week ago (water parameters great)
Add fish every few days (water parameters great)
Last night: nitrites shoot up to 1ppm
30% water change, Seachem Prime, Stability, Prisitne added
This morning, the nitrites were 0ppm. Is it possible the nitrites disappeared overnight? All other water parameters are perfect.
Side note:

“Free” equates to me buying: Fluval 407 with spray bar, 2 heaters, aquarium stand, 3 sponge filters, 60lbs of sand, Texas Holey Rock, numerous fish that paid the price for my ignorance, and everything Seachem makes (just kidding, maybe).

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would have said it was impossible, but it happened apparently. Glad you are moving along a better track.

One fact that may help as you add fish: when you cycle with one fish, the bacteria can only support one fish. If you chose that path forward, you should never more than double the bioload and waited a month (or more if test results so indicate) between additions.

Now that you are at 0ppm I would wait several days and ensure your results are stable. And I would start rehoming the venustus, who need a 72" tank. I don't use any chemicals, recommend you add only Prime.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to have you call my wife and explain I need a bigger tank, lol. Just kidding. The one thing I did right in my life is marrying a woman that just rolls her eyes when I tell her stuff like this. :LOL:
I am going to chalk it up to a bad test and go back to testing it every 12 hours. It may be overkill, but I enjoy it. I did test my tap water and it had very low amounts of ammonia in it, but nothing else.
I should’ve added that I have 2 other tanks (35 gallon gourami and 36 gallon fancy goldfish) that I took media from to assist with the newest cycle. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn’t.

Funny that you mentioned needing a bigger tank for venustus. I have my eye on a 125 gallon tank. Now I don’t NEED an excuse to get it.
Per my wife, “I don’t care what you get as long as it isn’t a snake and everything stays in your office”.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
OK next concern. You have both genders of venustus, and hopefully all male peacocks that look nothing alike. Usually you go either all male or mixed genders with a few males and lots of females for every male. Only one species of peacock/tank if you go mixed gender.

You can try the mixed gender venustus and all-male peacocks. Or lose all but one peacock male and add females of the same species.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts