Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cichlid tank that was just stocked with 21 fish. It is a 55g and I used established filter media to seed the cycle. Of course with stocking 21 fish at once I was expecting an ammonia spike which it did. Ammonia spiked up to .5 ppm so no big deal, it went back to 0 within a few hours. Now I'm on day 2 of a nitrite spike, it has been between .25 and up to .5 for 2 days. I done a 30% water change this morning and tonight it was at .5 again. I done another water change but I'm starting to wonder if I should just monitor it and let it run it's course as long as it doesn't go over 1ppm???

I added aquarium salt as a preventative.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank was cycled, I didn't really explain it all. I had fish in it before the cichlids that I used to fish in cycle along with established filter media and SuperBac. It went through the nitrogen cycle and I was at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with fish in it. All I did was take the fish out and add new decor, but the plants and substrate were not changed.

I didn't have 21 fish in it before though so maybe it isn't established enough to keep up with 21 fish yet, obviously.

I test the water 3 times a day and have been changing the water daily. But is .25-.50 Nitrites really dangerous if salt is added to the water which helps stop the absorption of nitrites into the bloodstream of the fish? I have 0 ammonia.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The bacteria is just catching up to the bigger bio load, it should zero out within a week. I would use prime to de-toxify ammonia/nitrite until then and continue partial water changes.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I test the water 3 times a day and have been changing the water daily. But is .25-.50 Nitrites really dangerous if salt is added to the water which helps stop the absorption of nitrites into the bloodstream of the fish? I have 0 ammonia.
You're doing exactly what you need to do, but I'd stop adding salt. There's a limit to how much is effective and you don't want to overdose it. Those levels are probably not going to do serious harm to the fish, but I'd suggest staying on it until they zero out again. You should see nitrite zero out soon. I'd suggest using something like Prime with the water changes, feed very lightlly and keep monitoring it. Sounds like you're doing a great job of handling it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Stumpjumper said:
The tank was cycled, I didn't really explain it all. I had fish in it before the cichlids that I used to fish in cycle along with established filter media and SuperBac. It went through the nitrogen cycle and I was at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites with fish in it. All I did was take the fish out and add new decor, but the plants and substrate were not changed.

I didn't have 21 fish in it before though so maybe it isn't established enough to keep up with 21 fish yet, obviously.

Oh ok, I did read your first post a different way. Sorry about that. Sounds like you're on track. Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts