Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a shipment of wild caught fronts in about two weeks ago.

First week went fine. They were shy but hungry.

I held off doing a water change to try and get them a bit more comfortable. Well - couple days ago I noticed a couple breathing a bit heavy and they weren't finishing all of the food I put in. So that immediately sets off warnings as I've had plenty of malawi bloat experience.

I test everything - and nitrates are off the chart. At least 80 if not worse.

I've been doing 25% water changes (three in so far) about ever 12 hours. I'm just wondering what y'all think - is nitrate poisoning the likely culprit here? I've never dealt with that before but the symptoms seem right on. I figure wild caughts are probably more sensitive to begin with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Someone else had difficulty with wild caught fish and thought that they didn't handle the Nitrates well due to them not being exposed to nitrate in the wild. I think reducing Nitrates through water changes is good, hopefully it solves the issue. You might have to do more than 25% to really get the nitrate down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm assuming that's the issue. I lost one tonight - was the one initially breathing heavy the other day, so I'm just going to guess that she sustained some sort of gill damage. No other physical signs of anything - so it has to be something in the water.

I did four 25% changes in about 36 hours and the nitrates are down under 20ppm. I'll be doing a bigger one in the morning, which should really bottom the nitrates out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you're still seeing symptoms you might want to post a photo here. Someone might be able to help you more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.