Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it be difficult to measure nitrates (ammonia and nitrites also) with one small fish (4 inch lab) in a large tank (75-90 gallons)? In other words would the volume of water dilute the readings to a "non measurable" level?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter has 4 small peacocks in a 75 gallon tank which was seeded with a mature sponge. No ammonia-nitrites-nitrates after a few weeks. Since the fish are feeding and producing waste, is the volume of water enough to dissipate any toxins, sort of like a large body of water? How long will it take for the level of ammonia to rise to a level that BB start to feed and convert? Can nitrates be there but not measurable with the kits available? Fish are fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the filter was properly seeded you will not see an increase in ammonia or nitrites. You should however see an eventual increase in nitrates. If you are using the API test kit make sure you shake up bottle #2 very well. I like to turn it upside down and bang it on the counter.

·
Administrator
41,643 Posts
Fish can appear fine even when damage is being done. I agree you will eventually see nitrates. It's not unusual to see no toxins for the first 3 weeks even when fully stocked.

In a 75G you want a lot more fish to manage aggression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.