Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an overstocked 55 gallon, mostly Peacocks. They breed like rabbits and I don't have space for a larger tank. I do large water changes weekly. Petco and Pet smart will only take so many and I have only been able to get rid of a few to other cichlid owners. I am running an Aqua Clear 70 with prefilter, coarse sponge, GFO poly-tech super filter pad and biomax. I am also running a Seachem Tidal 75 with the course sponge and as much Seachem Matrix as I can stuff in it. Inside the tank Fluval U3, with the stock media. Thinking of adding a second aqua clear 70 and just filling it with Seachem matrix in hopes it will help. Otherwise the tank is perfect.

A canister really isn't in the cards because the tank is sitting on a built in book case. At most I could put a small one next to it (maybe a foot tall)? Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do at least weekly water changes. I did a 50% water change today and my Nitrates are 40 ppm, still to high. Even if I remove the female, still overstocked.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your filters don't actually remove any nitrogen. I would consider getting a bigger tank then using the 55 gal as a sump with a bunch of plants and algae to eat the nitrogen. Or at the very least add in some moss and lighting to the tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Do 75% weekly. But first to get the nitrates down to a good starting place, change 50% today and then 50% again tomorrow.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Larger water changes are your best solution for immediate results, but you could also use Purigen or Chemipure Blue in your filters. Those products remove solid waste at the molecular level so there will be less ammonia generated to be converted into nitrate. Your water will also be clearer than it has ever been. Purigen works for up to six months and it can be regenerated.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Seachem Tidal 75 gives 350 gph turnover; AC70 yields 300, so that is 650 gph/55 gallons = almost 12 x turnover per hour! I shoot for 10 times or close to 10 times for my cichlid tanks so I think you have enough filtration.

I agree with the others - more frequent water changes, cut down on the number of fish, or maybe smaller feedings although you never really discussed the feeding situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts