Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My question is about nitrasorb.

I have a 90 gallon tank. 2 gold severums, 1 parrot, 2 bala sharks, handful of long skirted tetras, 3 keyhole cichlids, handful of danios and a cichlid of unknown kind which we call black bean.

I have 4 live plants, 1 large driftwood. I had a large coral piece which I removed yesterday.

Fluval 405 and 2 disks of aeration.

Water temp 78-80. Testing with API master test kit- Ph 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 80. I've been battling with higher nitrates for some time now. I purchased some nitrasorb today but wanted to get advice before using. And, if I can or should use it, which compartment does it go in? Do I remove some carbon?I assume I shouldn't touch biological media. I've done frequent large partial water changes and can't seem to get it any lower than 60. I have well water. With changes, I add salt and prime. I've also noticed my gold severums have some frayed fins, no other fish do. Wondering if this is a result of higher nitrates for some time?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Test you tap water for nitrates. I'll bet it's coming from there. You're a bit overstocked, which may be part of the problem as well. The fraying on the severums isn't likey due to high nitrate. I would keep an eye on your little "Black bean".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts