Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an amazing fish. I have read the profile for this fish but for the first time tonight got to witness its behavior in action. Let me begin the discussion by saying that i have stocked my tank with any and all cichlids that I like. From mbuna to peacocks and brichardi I have all of the lakes represented. It started as an experiment in compatibility but I have been pleasantly surprised. There has been very little aggression. That being said one thing I didn't want was fry. I wanted to maintain the stock that I wanted without any "mutts" or what some would call hybrids. Breeding was inevitable but I sought ways to control fry and decided to introduce a nimbochromis livingstonii. The fish has been in the tank for about two months and is only 1.5 inches long. Tonight I witnessed him laying on the substrate after he spotted a red top hongi fry that was in the tank. I watched as he waited until the fry was close and then he struck. Cruel? Maybe but fascinating to watch. I have kept cichlids for 20+ years and they still find ways to surprise and fascinate me daily.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.