Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Start with the questions. Do my Nics look stressed (not sure if thats what the dark colouring means)? Should I remove cons/nics from the tank? If I remove the aggressor (male con), should the female be ok with the Nics?

And on to the info:

In my 75 gallon (48"x18") I have a pair of nics as well as a male convict with 3 month old fry (the female con I had to remove due to aggression from the male). The Nics are 8" and 6", and the male convict is about 4.5-5" and a bit of a beast. I figured the paired nics could hold their own against the con, and they do well, but I'm thinking it's stressing them out too much. They defend their small area but never leave it and they have darkened a lot over the past few months. The cons roam around the whole tank and the adult male instigates a lot of standoffs with the Nics, and there's often small scuffles. Here's a few shots of the nics colouring before and after as well as a tank shot. Note: the young cons (3 month fry) will be going as soon as I can give them away.

Before

After

Full tank (Nics are in their usual hiding spot, top left container is female con in a quarantine container)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add the spot where the nics are in that last picture is bigger than it looks. They've dug the sand away so it gives the illusion of being smaller in the picture. It's about 12" from the back glass to the rock pile where they are hiding out, and they have just under half of the width of the tank as their territory.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Hmmm. Never saw my Nics show that dark coloring. I thinks the tank is big enough where they shouldn't be stressed. Mine like caves and you may want to put a "roof" over their rocks. Have the Nics ever spawned? The large cichlid stone from Ken's work great as a spawning cave.

Nice setup and fish.

...Bill

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have never spawned. The people I got them from had them for two years in a 75 with an oscar and large common pleco without a spawn, but I figured that the pleco was the reason behind no fry. I've had them almost a year now without a spawn.
TFG, you keep nics... have you had them go dark like this before a spawn?
And Bill, before your nics spawned did they change colour at all? Thanks for the tip on the roof, I have some flat rocks I might add. There is a spot where the female can fit most of her body under a rock, but maybe they'd like more cover.
Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Here are mine in breeding colors. They look very similar to your. Mayb a hair smaller and younger. They were a pair but did not spawn for almost two years. Added the Cichlid Stone and Bingo. They do alot of lip locking before spawning. 50% cool water change helps too

More videos of them in my youtube channel.

Courting they get black vertical bars in their back half. Female gets more golden.

GL...Bill

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'll try the cooler water change and see what happens. The picture doesn't show it, but the female has those vertical bars on her back half, so that's a good sign. It seems anything sets off their lip-locking, but they've been doing that for as long as I've had them. I'm also hoping that getting rid of the con fry will lessen the aggression from the male con. Weird that he's been defending his fry for three months now, I thought he would lose interest sooner than this.
If the Nics do spawn, how aggressive do they get?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They stay in their little area and chase off any intruders. They dont neccesarily look for trouble.

Did I mention how well those cichlid stones work :)

....Bill

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
+1 on the cichlid stones, my convicts have used them for 4 out of 5 spawns... and on the 5th spawn the female moved the fertilized eggs from the clay pot to the inside of the cichlid stone the next day :lol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, slight push towards cichlid stones. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of how they look, as effective as they may be. And as awesome as it would be if my Nics spawn, my main concern is that they aren't stressed in their setup.
The Nics behaviour isn't what I would expect if they were planning on spawning. I have seen the cloud of convict fry migrate into their area and the Nics just move out of it into the open until the fry vacate. They only defend against the adult con.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheFishGuy said:
I use clay pots... But I'm cheap. :)
Cheap as in "running 50 tanks in my basement" kind of cheap? :p
Nothing wrong with being cheap, I might try hiding a clay pot under some rocks, see if that works for them. Does the cave have to be big enough for both fish to get inside?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The male barely fits in mine. But I guess he gets the job done.

....Bill

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I forget what generation I'm on but my pairs have all spawned in a plastic root type thing... Standing up... Only the female could barely fit into the opening but the male had ZERO chance of getting in... Yet... I believe I'm on generation five or six! So Something is making it down there!

FYI... All my tanks were either free or repaired by me or traded for work or fish. I think I've probably paid for about 10 sponge filters and I've got three 20 gallon storage bins full of them... I paid $60 on ebay for my linear pump that could handle easily 150 outlets if not more.

I have never perchased a brand new tank aside from my 240 which was foolish... Of any of the tanks I have purchased I've never paid more than a buck a gallon. :)

Besides, when you're your breeding fish they help pay for things... And now that it's warming up only the very small fry and electric blue JDs have heaters on!

Rant over.... :lol:

ps... I'm down to roughly 30 tanks in operation now... But it's spring and things will start making babies soon! :lol:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TFG, I was just checking out your blog and noticed the stocking on your 185: breeding cons, nics and cutteri, as well as single carpintas, midas, argentea and hatiens. I think that was back in january... do you still have the same/similar setup? How is it working out? What are the dimensions of your 185?
I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of tankmates my nics should be able to handle since I've never kept them before this pair. Also I'm thinking a more heavily decorated tank might help... once the snow melts up here in the frozen north I'll go scrounging for more decor.
ps - TFG, nice work on the cheap tank aquisitions, I hope my earlier comment didn't come across as offensive.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
You're good. :)
It's funny because people think I'm rich or have this huge house or something. I'm not financially rich and I don't have a big house!
What most people don't understand is I've sacrificed quite a bit to have what I have and I work seven days a week to have what I have!
People often say "I wish I had that" or "I could never have that" refering to the 1200 or even the fish room sometimes.
The thing is, anyone can have it if they're willing to make the sacrifices and work for it!
I do not go out to dinner, I pack my lunch, don't stop at the coffee shop, buy lotto tickets or eat steak and lobster every day.
If there's any piece of advice I can give anyone who really wants something it's to set realistic goals. Write them down and seriously work towards them. Soon you will have everything you want!

I better stay on topic or some mod will come along and boot me off... I understand that I constantly give the advice on the forums to NOT keep pairs in a community tank. I still maintain that. My situation is different in the fact that I've got options if the pairs do not work out. Most people don't. The tank in question is 60"x24"x30"tall. Not the ideal footprint for what's in there but so far it's very peaceful, but the midas is young only about 4", the green texas I put in was sickly and didn't make it and the argentea 8-9 inches, the largest fish in the tank, keeps to himself. The male nic is roughly 7" and the female quite a bit smaller about 4". I believe the stock works due to the massive amount of hiding spots. There's easily double the caves than fish. As a matter of fact the only fish I see consistently are the cutteri and nics who hang out in the middle front. I see the cutteri more than the nics. At first glance the tank looks empty, while the extreme amount of hiding spots works for the stock it's a bit disapointing because I never see the stock. I believe the nics have spawned or are about to. The female is new, male is from my fishes lineage. They are the only two nics I have at the moment... Which is really strange for me, usually I'm overrun LOL

I think cutteri are perfect tank mates though...

edit; I should add that the planned final stocking of this tank is the argentea, nics and cutteri. The others will be removed as necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts