Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been eyeballing a nice nic at one of the chain stores in my area- very surprised to see it, but this store gets more unusual stuff- and since I was thinking nics for a ca setup, I'm considering getting it. Problem is I would have to put it in quarantine in my 25g planted tank with some white clouds. Will the nic eat the white clouds? I'm not that attached to them, I only got them because the tank is unheated and I wanted something that could make it through the winter. Temps are now in the 80s here in Alabama so it should be warm enough.

I've already visited the fish several times and I just keep going back to it... Also, will a 40b be large enough if I manage to get a pair? If I get a pair it would be them plus a few dithers, platies or swords.

Any advice will be appreciated, because I think I'm gonna buy this fish today. My husband is out of town for work so a good time to slip more fish into the house :lol: !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nics are not typically carnivorous, but they might go after the white clouds. Hard to be sure. Some cichlids ignore dithers others take joy in wiping them out. If they pair up, the dithers might in serious peril. They prabaly will claim the whole thank
A 40 gallon is probably a little small for a pair, but I believe it is possible. A 55 or 75 would be better. I say give it a shot, but do not count on the dithers to make it, if they do= bonus.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like the 18" width of the 40b, and with nics being fairly docile I would actually prefer putting a pair of them in a 40b rather than a 55 gallon tank. I agree with Conram on the white clouds... they will likely leave them alone, but it's hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
They should be fine in the 40b. They are territorial and may chase dithers. Their mouth is small.

What size are the ones you are looking at?

...Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I bought the fish today...

It's just over 2 inches, gold with the full stripe. It's just starting to show a slight pattern in the fins, does this mean it's a male? So far so good in the tank with the white clouds. They were harassing him when I was floating the bag, but no real interaction when I released him into the tank. He seemed to be settling in okay this evening, I'll check in on him in the morning. I'm hoping he can hang out in the 25 for a little while, to quarantine and to give me some time to get the tank set up. I have a 40b available- I was going to use it for my west African set up but I got some congo tetras and I think they'll need the length of a 55g.

I know nics are common but I hadn't seen any here and was excited to get him. Now I have to get him a partner eventually.

I confessed to my husband that I bought I fish when I talked to him. He said "I knew it!" My fish (and tank) wish list is starting to come to life!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good luck with it. They are my favorite cichlid.

The males will get reddish fins and tail with darker spots in it. Males can lose the stripe as they mature.

Females may get a blue head and get orange below the line.

...Bill

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. He seems to be settling in well, still a little shy but I'm sure that will change in time. I'm excited about him!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts