Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

*** been to a couple a fish stores in recent months and have seen a variety of Ngara. Which include Blue Ngara, Flametail Ngara, and couple others but I just cant remember the exact names. So I was just wondering how many variations/hybrids if you will, are there of Aulonocara stuartgranti (Ngara)??

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
the only stuartgranti (ngara) i'm familiar with is i believe the red flametail. the orange/yellow flametails are from other locations

were they listed as stuartgranti (ngara) or just as ngara, because there are other species that are collected at that location, ngara is a collection point, not a species, so if they are indeed hybrids, they should not carry the location name

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Ngara & Mdoka are two locations for what is called the "Flametail". There are only pure lines, thou there may be a line bred line to make males more red. There should not be variations.

Ngara is more common. There may well be variations in the trade name, or the store may be being sloppy about the name. Or the store or distributor is making up a name.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is an Ngara white tail but that is the common name for pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"(Ngara). The possibility also exists that your lfs has some names confused or just plain wrong. Some of the things I have seen fish labeled as is almost laughable when I get home and try to research them. I doubt I know half of what some people on these forums know about fish so if I am noticing these kind of mistakes it must be pretty bad. I'm just lucky I don't have to rely on LFSs for fish. sorry for the rant. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
noki said:
Ngara & Mdoka are two locations for what is called the "Flametail". There are only pure lines, thou there may be a line bred line to make males more red. There should not be variations.

Ngara is more common. There may well be variations in the trade name, or the store may be being sloppy about the name. Or the store or distributor is making up a name.
There are some out there listed as Aulonocara Albino Ngara Red Flametails... they are infact just a hybrid peacock and should only be considered an aquarium strain.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I agree with the members that have posted so far. IMO a collection point name like Ngara should only be used for a fish that was wild and collected at Ngara, or descendants of the same. No other species mixed in, as is often the case with albinos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts