Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a 90 gallon. I'm running 2 filters. Rheem 2227 and a sunsun 302. I have 4 large feeder goldfish in the tank now. Was thinking of putting in some American cichlids in. Many fish are safe in a 90 and can they live with these goldfish

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tank has been set up for a month and i am intrested in south american cichlads. i found a package on Your fish store .com for 25 mixed varietys for 100

·
Registered
213 Posts
Coming to a reputable forum chalked full of experienced fishkeepers is a very good start. I do recommend however TONS more research. The notion of 25 mixed varieties is flat wrong right off the bat. There are plenty of species that wont fit into a 90g by themselves let alone with a pile of others. Goldfish don't mix with South or Central American cichlids. Your tank setup, while visually appealing, has a large percentage the useable swimspace taken up with deco. Not really cichlid friendly, except possibly dwarf species or smaller Africans. You need to ensure cycle is complete. That's zero ammonia and nitrite and some showing of nitrate. Measure these parameters with a liquid test kit. API freshwater kit is most trusted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. with that large piece of driftwood in the tank any fish recomendations . the gold fish dont have to stay

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Can you provide the aquarium dimensions?

Agree that a mixed package of fish is definitely a poor choice, regardless of whatever gallons.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Good advice Oscar. This is another example why fish forums are so valuable.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If you want to keep that large decoration, I'd look at some of the smaller species. Add some limited rockwork. Maybe some plants. Bolivian Rams, Keyholes, B. Cupido. If you changeup the wood work, look at some of the Geophagus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts