Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I inherited a red zebra 8 days ago and didn't notice that she was holding until I got home and put her in my 75 gal. after setting up separate 10 gal for her we finally took her out yesterday and placed her in there. my question is now what? I don't know how long she was holding for but fry were hatched in her mouth. Should I try to feed her to entice her to spit or just sit and wait? I'm not comfortable getting her to strip. thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
The first question most people will have is what fish were in the tank you inherited it from? If there is a chance that the fry are hybrids then the fry should not be distributed. I usually strip between 18-21 days. The holding fish that I have had have actually started to eat around the 20 day mark(either to feed her fry or because she hasn't eaten in 3 weeks). I've used this as my sign to strip. From what I have read, they will spit around the 28 day mark, but that can vary. Being alone will help her feel comfortable enough to spit.
Once she does, I would put the fry in a breeder box and feed the mother for a few days before you put her back in the main tank.
Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inherited her along with some others through a contact. His tank was getting over crowded because he never separated the fry and there about 50 or so swimming around with all the adults in his 125 gal. He or I don't know how long she's been holding for. there are male red zebras present but still don't know who she mated with. I have her in 10 gal with little gravel, 1 6 in live plant, sponge filter, heater, and clay pot. She looks confused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts